F Vail

Ski patrollers at Utah’s largest resort could be headed for a showdown with Vail Resorts.

On Monday, the Park City Professional Ski Patrol Association (PCPSPA) voted to stop working should ownership reject a pay increase. Union leadership announced that 168 of its 171 members voted in favor of going on strike.

The union has been in negotiations with Vail Resorts about raising its minimum wage since August 2020. The current starting wage for patrollers there is $13.25 per hour. Vail has offered to increase that to $15 per hour, but the union is asking for a $17 per hour minimum as well as a $1 per hour increase after an employee’s first three years of service.

“A strike authorization does not mean that a walkout is inevitable,” the PCPSPA wrote online. “However, it does show that our membership is prepared to participate in a work stoppage if necessary.”

A strike would likely shut down Park City Mountain Resort during its busiest stretch of the year.

“Ideally, the company sees this authorization as an indicator of our collective strength and offers us a reasonable contract without requiring further action,” the union said in a statement.

Last week a representative from Vail Resorts told the Salt Lake Tribune that the company is preparing for a potential strike. The newspaper recently reported that a Vail employee contacted ski patrollers in New Hampshire, offering $600 a day and travel expenses to come work in Utah in the event of a strike. A Vail Resorts spokesperson said the email was unauthorized.

I get that there is a large supply of people who want to ski for a living, but $13.25/hour is insane. Even $17/hour is shockingly low. Nannies here in the NYC burbs get paid more than that.

I get that there is a large supply of people who want to ski for a living, but $13.25/hour is insane. Even $17/hour is shockingly low. Nannies here in the NYC burbs get paid more than that.
Seriously. Considering that they have to stay current as EMTs and whatever the certifications are to handle explosives and that they need these guys to stick around long term (unlike a liftie or a line cook or even an instructor) 13.25 is insane. Waiting 3 years for a raise is bonkers too.

I've never shorted a stock before, but with so much anger and bad press still to come, and the stock trading at a ridiculous 85x earnings, I decided to give it a shot on Friday.

So far so good, I'm up 5.5% on my short.
With MTN popping back up I closed out my position and made enough to buy a day pass at Hunter one day. Mid-week of course :p. I don't have the testicular fortitude to hold a short position, with an unbounded potential for loss.

I don't think ski patrol salary has ever been enough to raise a family, I wish them luck. Go get job that pays more is probably the only solution.

I agree, but there's a difference between "enough to raise a family", and enough to not be hand to mouth. If ski patrolling at PCMR paid a 6 figure salary I think half of the people on this forum would quit and go do that for a living.

I agree, but there's a difference between "enough to raise a family", and enough to not be hand to mouth.
It's a lifestyle and not a career. Some willingly choose lifestyle over career, they kknow what they're getting into. Ski bums are kings at living off of no money.

Back