F Vail

I don't think ski patrol salary has ever been enough to raise a family, I wish them luck. Go get job that pays more is probably the only solution.
I think I can repeat this because I got it from patrol:

"What is the difference between a pizza and a ski patroller?"

"One of them can feed a family."

One could say it takes a special set of skills to be a ski bum too. Unless you're a trust fund bum, nothing wrong with that btw, you learn to go without, and live like a king, all while being broke....lol

One could say it takes a special set of skills to be a ski bum too. Unless you're a trust fund bum, nothing wrong with that btw, you learn to go without, and live like a king, all while being broke....lol
“Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.” -JJ

That feeling you have when you have nothing other than your gear, a few bucks in your pocket, maybe a sticky bag of bud and nothing but time to ski is literally the second best thing I’ve ever experienced. The only thing that trumps it would be experiences with my daughter and watching her enjoy life.

Just like 90% of all S&P 500 corporations.
Especially these days when everything is in deep red.. I put considerable amount of $$$ into ETFs like SPY/VOO, VNQ.. Was not fast enough to move the bulk of $$$ from growth stocks..

At least the "interim GM" has personal and professional experience at Stevens. Anyone remember if the folks at Kirkwood liked Tom Fortune as GM?

January 12, 2022
" . . .
I am glad to be coming home, even if just temporarily, to support this period of transition at Stevens Pass.

I grew up at Stevens Pass and my ski career started here, too. My three boys have grown up at this mountain and also call it home. I worked my way through the ranks for 20 years (I have the photo to prove it, see below), ultimately leaving in 1999, having served as Director of Operations. Since then, I have been lucky enough to manage a number of amazing resorts across the western United States, gaining new insight and experience along the way. This includes time at Schweitzer Mountain in Idaho as GM, followed by moving to the Tahoe area in 2010, where I’ve held several senior operations roles at both Heavenly and Kirkwood. In 2016, I proudly became the GM of Kirkwood, and three years later, I began serving in my current role as GM at Heavenly.
. . ."

NY Ski Blog and Storm Skiing Journal are my only sources of sking news and events. All the complaints and problems I read about appear to be with Vail. Are all these issues specific to Vail? It seems like I do not read about the same problems with Boyne or Alterra. Do they suffer from some or any of the same issues, or are they just that much better at running things?

Ikon areas have had far more terrain and lifts open in comparison to neighboring Vail areas, and have been involved in far fewer operational fiascos

Back