F Vail

Not an expert on corporate debt, but doesn't it depend on the type of debt? Fixed rate (like a traditional mortgage) vs a revolving (like a credit card)?

Not an expert on corporate debt, but doesn't it depend on the type of debt? Fixed rate (like a traditional mortgage) vs a revolving (like a credit card)?
it could be anything: fixed, ARM-like.. I am sure this Katz guy has a petty sophisticated schema in regards of VR debt.

Well I'm assuming he was smart enough to do fixed when interest rates were so low.

Same - I've lived in the same old house for 15 years just outside of the village towards Prattsville
I haven't been to the bar in years - nor have I purchased any food.
I just ride. If it's crowded - I don't ride.
Soon I'm gonna start heading out at lunch for turns after this quarter ends at work.
I love living here - the village and town are getting better every day. I frequent the local restaurants(Jessies is my favorite) once a week.. My local friends are my chosen family now.

I'm just glad the Sackler family doesn't own Hunter anymore.
Same here, except I love the bar, (poor bartenders), you're the drummer for Third Rail, right?

Think the easiest way to solve the crowding issue would be make each pass buyer designate a "home" mountain. Put a cap on this number but give them unlimited access there. Then dole out access to everywhere else in tiers, 5 days, 10 days, partial holiday blackouts etc., with the caveat you need to reserve ahead of time. You still have a ridiculous amount of access to mountains at a low price, but this should help avoid everyone showing up at once. Kill the overcrowding and your halfway home to fixing the on mountain experience.

Don’t know the date on this but Katz is different than others I’ve met who actually managed smaller mountains.
Reading the article which refers to recent purchase of Whistler/Blackcomb, I'd say late 2016 to early 2017. The article is very complimentary, but times are different now. People back then may have complained about Vail throwing its weight around and homogenizing parts of the ski experience, but nobody was saying they didn't upgrade their purchases or operate their areas competently.

Alterra was formed in April 2017, and despite there being valid questions about its business model, this seems to be about the time Vail started making more mistakes. Sources tell me they way overpaid for the Mueller properties (Crested Butte, Okemo and Sunapee) and Stowe. Vail paid $174 million for Hotham and Falls Creek in Australia in 2019 vs. Mammoth's purchase of Snow Summit/Bear Mt. in SoCal for $34 million in 2014. These areas are almost exact analogies in terms of size, skier visits and "feeder status" to destination skiing elsewhere.

Then we read about Vail trying to replace their HR with an app, right at the time they have 20+ new ski areas to manage?

Then we read about Vail trying to replace their HR with an app, right at the time they have 20+ new ski areas to manage?
I wouldn't be surpised if they are saving on office printer paper and free stuff at cafeteria as well. They are saving pennies on peanuts while losing a lot on mismanaging the resorts. Hash tag F. V

Back