F Vail

So if Vail goes down, all the ski areas would be sold and continue to operate?

You are new, so you might not know, I am not a fan of the impact of Vail on skiing, and I certainly hope they don't buy any of my favorite mountains. Just wondering if we are screwed either way, if Vail lives or if they die?
I am not Vail fan either. I am not a fan of mega-corporations in general. The way Vail operates like if they are buying real estate of a quiet tight-knit neighborhood and then start renting out to anybody per hour. And the community dies.

Last edited:
The ex-CEO but still Chairman Katz sold some shares in the last ~1/2 year to the tune of enough to buy several mountains.

They have $1.47 Billion in cash on hand.
  • Vail Resorts long term debt for 2021 was $2.736B, a 14.62% increase from 2020.
  • Vail Resorts long term debt for 2020 was $2.387B, a 56.25% increase from 2019.

• Vail Resorts long term debt for 2021 was $2.736B, a 14.62% increase from 2020.
  • Vail Resorts long term debt for 2020 was $2.387B, a 56.25% increase from 2019.
Yup.
Attaboy ?
Now do the thing called “goodwill".
They’ve been buying mountains and call something “goodwill” and putting it in the books as the piss off the local folks who ski there.
See how that thing got bigger when they started gobbling.
What does goodwill have to do with buying ski mountains?

My two cents: I’m not a financial advisor. The debt is what will trigger Vail’s fall, just like it did with ASC. They will eventually have to start selling tangible assets (resorts) in order to keep making their payments. This is not the first round of consolidation in the ski business. Next will be another decentralization. It seems to follow a boom/bust cycle.

They will eventually have to start selling tangible assets (resorts) in order to keep making their payments.
Something is telling me it is going to be a sale with huge discount since most of the resorts are coming with debt, increasing maintenance costs, contracts ("epic pass") yet to be fulfilled..
One of the solutions could be to split Vail into several companies like Vail California, Vail NorthWest, etc and try to deal with problems on a local level rather than on a corp global level. Vail is gonna collapse by itself or will be split via regulation or by shareholders vote. The current board should trim dead wood. The CEO must go. Lynch is not a leader, she is a Woke culture affirmative action CEO.

The CEO must go. Lynch is not a leader, she is a Woke culture affirmative action CEO.
VD, Katz is somewhat similar.
Don’t know the date on this but Katz is different than others I’ve met who actually managed smaller mountains.

Back