F Vail

Hopefully I’m still healthy when I retire cause I’d like to do both. A year or two wandering the west, then a full winter at one large resort (maybe Killington) just to really get to know one place like the back of my hand, every inch, then probably something else, Europe? Argentina and New Zealand?

Epic is appealing because of price and variety of good local mountains like okemo, Stowe, and mt snow and opportunity for a trip out west. Like others My hesitation is crowds making for difficult parking, not being able to find a lunch table, and terrible lift lines that makes the hole thing frustrating.

Can anyone who has frequented Fail Resorts this year comment on staffing? Friends in Bellingham commented that Stevens Pass had very few and very inexperienced staff at the mountain this year. My experience with Hunter after the purchase was that it felt extremely understaffed and by a lot of EB-5's. That was the '19-'20 season, can't comment on this one cause I can proudly say I haven't had a single day in at Vail Resort. Generally I was curious how the mountains were running in the absents of EB-5's, my assumption was that international travel restrictions would limit Vail to hiring locally or just running VERY lean.

Cant comment on Vail but I know Mountain Creek didn’t get their foreign workers this year

Gore seemed short on patrol when I was there.

Staffing has been an issue at all the ski resorts I've been to this season. That includes NC, VA, WV, CO, WY, UT, and NM. In the southeast, there were more inexperienced staff so the first month was tough. Noticed it the most for lifties at my home mountain, Massanutten, in northern VA. Was fine by mid-January. Out west the independent mountains seemed to be doing okay by the time I went to Colorado in February. They were clearly short-staff but people knew what they were supposed to do.

Killington used foreign workers in the past but they had no problem this season with staff, I would never recommend a mega multi pass to anyone , lowering the price is going to attract more boneheads making a midweek pass at the Beast one of the best deals around,
next season I am hoping to ski the NY lake effect ski areas that I hear such sweet reports from and of course Plattekill, these places should benefit from Vail lowering costs

Last edited:
RIFD gates have eliminated a lot of liftie jobs at Killington. Work like a charm. Vail cant seem to afford the upgrade at Hunter, Mt. Snow and Stowe.

Can anyone who has frequented Fail Resorts this year comment on staffing? Friends in Bellingham commented that Stevens Pass had very few and very inexperienced staff at the mountain this year. My experience with Hunter after the purchase was that it felt extremely understaffed and by a lot of EB-5's. That was the '19-'20 season, can't comment on this one cause I can proudly say I haven't had a single day in at Vail Resort. Generally I was curious how the mountains were running in the absents of EB-5's, my assumption was that international travel restrictions would limit Vail to hiring locally or just running VERY lean.
Well, I drove all the way to Hunter to find a closed mountain due to lack of patrollers. That lasted three days.

Back