F Vail

value proposition
The real question is... when will skiers adjust their perception of value? Will it continue to be only about lift ticket price?

Look at my pics from Plattekill on the front page. If I get 7 days at Plattekill this year (a reasonable estimate) I'll pay $100 a day. Would I rather be at Mt Snow for $50? Personally, no. I would not.

I guess I should put this in my sig, as I acknowledge I am a broken record on this topic.

The real question is... when will skiers adjust their perception of value? Will it continue to be only about lift ticket price?

Look at my pics from Plattekill on the front page. If I get 7 days at Plattekill this year (a reasonable estimate) I'll pay $100 a day. Would I rather be at Mt Snow for $50? Personally, no. I would not.

I guess I should put this in my sig, as I acknowledge I am a broken record on this topic.

I rarely break even on my season pass at Mt van Ho... totally worth it.

I'm stuck with FAIL, my mountain home is right in the middle of all these FAIL properties..........so I've made a concerned effort to NOT spend any money at them. I bring my own food and drinks with me. I buy nothing while I'm there!
Same - I've lived in the same old house for 15 years just outside of the village towards Prattsville
I haven't been to the bar in years - nor have I purchased any food.
I just ride. If it's crowded - I don't ride.
Soon I'm gonna start heading out at lunch for turns after this quarter ends at work.
I love living here - the village and town are getting better every day. I frequent the local restaurants(Jessies is my favorite) once a week.. My local friends are my chosen family now.

I'm just glad the Sackler family doesn't own Hunter anymore.

At what price do people start to drop away though? Vail has created a pretty unbeatable value proposition in theory. They just have not been able to deliver on it. If they paid on mountain employees fair wages, ran regular maintenance on lifts and other infrastructure and really leaned into blowing snow IMO $2K would be a justifiable cost for Epic.
“In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.” Yogi Berra

The whole "season pass" model has to change with these mega passes. You can't have all 2 million pass holders showing up to PCMR at the same day. Maybe they should only sell a basic regional non-holiday pass, then have a reservation system that requires you to pre-book and pay up for holidays, and resorts outside of your region. Once the resort is booked to capacity that's it, don't bother showing up.

Yeah it ruins the notion of a "season pass", but I don't see any other way.

Found the following at Yahoo Finance board for MTN: "Buy Dec 2022 expire puts, by then the terrible pass purchases #'s for 2023 will be out and they will be terrible, this turkey isn't cooked yet but give it some time".

Does it make sense?

Found the following at Yahoo Finance board for MTN: "Buy Dec 2022 expire puts, by then the terrible pass purchases #'s for 2023 will be out and they will be terrible, this turkey isn't cooked yet but give it some time".

Does it make sense?
$280 put seems pricey at $25, but let us know what your black sholes model says..

I believe that back when skiing was more local, the average income of skiers was more... average.
The history of the ski industry in NY, New England, and the mid-Atlantic is pretty different from the states that have local ski areas with over 1000 acres and destination resorts that have attracted international customers for a few decades.

The real impact may not be seen until next fall when people don't renew their passes. But I'm hoping the expectation of decreased sales and higher costs drives it down a bit more
Multi-resort pass sales start in the spring. By fall, the numbers are well known.

Big question is what the pricing will be like for Epic . . . can't repeat another 20% decrease. A 20% increase back to pre-pandmic levels?

Back