F Vail

Very, very different markets and terrain. A "ski resort" in PA is nothing like one in Colorado. What PA has that CO doesn't is millions of people living in cities who VR hopes are willing to buy plane tickets to ski out west, in addition to doing local skiing.
I get all that. I know that nobody who is a Vail/Breck/Beav regular is headed to get some epic’s worth of PA skiing. I used to raft guide in the vicinity of the new acquisitions and have skied 2 of 3.

It’s just an interesting factoid with numbers. Vail is iconic to Colorado (destination location, expansive bowl skiing, right off the interstate, village full of real estate) for several generations of skiers. They brew Coors other places besides Golden too. Similar association thing though.

Difference for a Disney vacation for a family who don't ordinarily take an expensive vacation is that it can be a once-in-a lifetime type of experience. Or at least only once as a child when parents are footing the bill.
Once is one time too many.
They put an engraved mouse on every bar of the dang soap.
It takes a 1/2 an hour just to get out of Disney to get back to reality and that just puts ya in the traffic backed up on the interstate.

They constantly bust my stones about skiing.
Seems like nobody's business how you spend your own money. Maybe it's all in fun?

Detachables do not make tickets more expensive. Ski areas, like most businesses, will charge what the market will bear. As for crowding, on a normal weekend day, they generally the same amount of people on the trail when compared to a FGQ.

The same amount, or more? Could be either, to some extent it's a choice.

I don't see how investing $XM in a piece of equipment to run the business wouldn't impact the cost of the sport. The biggest differences between now and 1935 are snowmaking, advanced lifts and, for the individual, gear. Maybe insurance too.

The gear is really a choice. You can probably ski on the same pair of skis/boots forever if you want to. But to some extent, if you want to ride lifts, you are going to have to bear the costs of those lifts and snowmaking. You can say that lifts and snowmaking have no impact on the cost of skiing, but to me that's just not credible.

Years ago, I'd heard something about the American auto industry and competitors, that sounded legit, but I never knew if it was true or not. Maybe @Campgottagopee knows. The theory was that one reason American cars were bigger than foreign cars, beyond gas tax, was that the American companies had huge pension liabilities that Japanese companies didn't have. The idea was that with $5000 in pension built into each vehicle that Toyota didn't have to include, the US companies were forced to sell a bigger product that they could bury that extra cost in. If GM built the same Corolla for $5000 more, it would never sell.

IF true, it would be an example of high fixed cost pushing the "manufacturer" to target a luxury market.

I don't see how investing $XM in a piece of equipment to run the business wouldn't impact the cost of the sport. The biggest differences between now and 1935 are snowmaking, advanced lifts and, for the individual, gear. Maybe insurance too.

The gear is really a choice. You can probably ski on the same pair of skis/boots forever if you want to. But to some extent, if you want to ride lifts, you are going to have to bear the costs of those lifts and snowmaking. You can say that lifts and snowmaking have no impact on the cost of skiing, but to me that's just not credible.
Labor is an increasing cost for all ski areas/resorts. Especially when you include costs associated with helping employees with housing in some fashion. SAM had an article recently that included how much money a few destination resorts are spending on employee housing. Some pretty big investments that started years ago.

Technology and IT infrastructure is harder to gauge. Costs money to implement but the ROI may be relatively good. Certainly was a factor for VR. 2008 wasn't just the start of the Epic pass idea. It was also the start of EpicMix and moving all VR resorts to enhanced RFID cards for lift access and more.

2008 wasn't just the start of the Epic pass idea. It was also the start of EpicMix and moving all VR resorts to enhanced RFID cards for lift access and more.
EpicMix sucks. Read recent reviews.
Ya shouldn’t need an app to ski albeit a kludgy one.

You should try a pair sometime.
1639052511346.png

So what's next for Vail? Holiday Valley? I could see that happening. We hear every year rumors of Bristol being sold, but the gossip mill is always working overtime there................

So what's next for Vail? Holiday Valley? I could see that happening. We hear every year rumors of Bristol being sold, but the gossip mill is always working overtime there................

I hear that speculation yesterday. Holiday Valley and Bristol. :eek:

Please no.

Back