F Vail

This is true but weren’t those guys were in the 10th because they had already learned to love skiing during the 30s when it really exploded as a sport in the US?
Yes and the 10th Mtn was loaded with skiing immigrants or their kids.

He gave up snowboarding because it’s too expensive. It’s only too expensive if you buy all your gear brand new and don’t hunt up some good deals on passes..
I think that a lot of times that people say something is “too expensive”, they mean: “I prefer to spend my money on different things”

If people really loved doing the thing, they’d find a way to make it work. If they don’t care too much about it, they won’t

I think that a lot of times that people say something is “too expensive”, they mean: “I prefer to spend my money on different things”

If people really loved doing the thing, they’d find a way to make it work. If they don’t care too much about it, they won’t
This times 10. There are families in my neighborhood who go to Disney and stay on site every year during prime vacation time. They constantly bust my stones about skiing. I would bet they spend way more in their 1 week at Disney then we spend as a family during an entire ski season.

This times 10. There are families in my neighborhood who go to Disney and stay on site every year during prime vacation time. They constantly bust my stones about skiing. I would bet they spend way more in their 1 week at Disney then we spend as a family during an entire ski season.
Good point. The cost of a Disney vacation should easily cover a whole season of skiing. Do people say Disney is for rich elites? I‘ve been there more than I ever wanted to and the clientele seemed to come from all demographic and income groups.

Good point. The cost of a Disney vacation should easily cover a whole season of skiing. Do people say Disney is for rich elites? I‘ve been there more than I ever wanted to and the clientele seemed to come from all demographic and income groups.
Add electronic gadgets and the services that make them work to that.

I would argue that this countries skiing roots had little to do with it being an elitist sport for the wealthy. I think Sun Valley was that sort of place but most other rope toe hills were for regular folk.
That is certainly true for certain regions. Obviously was easier in the northeast or western states that got good natural snow cover. But even in the southeast, the first ski areas started in the 1960s or early 1970s had buses driving a few hours for day trips that were filled with people who weren't in a top income bracket. There were plenty of surface tow lost ski areas in the east from NC thru New England.

Back