F Vail

7AB1126A-D3F7-4870-9F6B-043733F764E6.jpeg

Vail currently has 5 Colorado ski areas……..8 Pennsylvania Ski areas
They wanna be closer to more people. It is The Keystone State.

"As a company, we have been focused on acquiring resorts near major metropolitan areas as we know many skiers and riders build their passion for the sport close to home. These great ski areas in Pennsylvania are a perfect complement to our existing resorts, creating a much stronger connection and compelling offering to our current and future guests in Pittsburgh as well as those in other critical markets such as Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Cleveland."

Here’s what was told to investors, allegedly.

. A general perception that it’s a rich white person sport driven by dopes constantly posting on the internet that it’s a rich white person sport. .
This seems to be an odd opinion.

Dopes on the internet post a lot of things that don’t become “general perceptions”. Why have dopes been so successful in making this one stick?

They wanna be closer to more people. It is The Keystone State.

"As a company, we have been focused on acquiring resorts near major metropolitan areas as we know many skiers and riders build their passion for the sport close to home. These great ski areas in Pennsylvania are a perfect complement to our existing resorts, creating a much stronger connection and compelling offering to our current and future guests in Pittsburgh as well as those in other critical markets such as Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Cleveland."

Here’s what was told to investors, allegedly.
Oh I get it.

Pre WW2, skiing in the US was mostly supported by European immigrants. Skiing was just part of the lifestyle for these immigrants and when they came here they started the figure how they could continue to enjoy the various types of skiing - x country, jumping and downhill. For example, NJ was home to almost 30 ski areas/jumping areas. The lack of consistent snow made skiing in NJ an infrequent pleasure. Getting to northern areas in NYS/VT/NH pre-interstate highway was difficult.
Locals in the mountains where just trying to survive the winters. The wealthy headed to the Alps, while the regular people were starting to get familiar with rope tows if and when it snowed.

During the 1930s, places like Sun Valley, Stowe, and Mt Tremblant were being developed to try and replicate the European skiing resort experience. The glamor of skiing was marketed to the masses. From the 1930s to the 1950s (pre snowmaking), skiing in the East was still a fun hobby if it snowed. Farmers would throw up a rope tow or t-bar and try and make some money during the winter.

Post WW2, some American soldiers (10th mountain division specifically) came back from Europe with a love of skiing and the vision to see that the USA had the mountains to support the skiing. These visionaries developed the 'ski business' that brought us to where we are today. The refinement of snowmaking has made the sport grow to something customers could plan to do in the future. The advent of chairlifts has made it easier to ski. The combination of snowmaking and chairlifts put a lot of the small, mom and pop areas out of business.

Skiing certainly is not a cheap sport to enjoy, however, it can be affordable. I do not think it is any more expensive today vs the 1960s-1980s to try and figure out how to ski.

WTF? Don’t we have monopoly laws? When do they kick in?
This is just a guess - Jack Frost and Big Boulder were sister areas in the Poconos, Liberty/Roundtop/Whitetail were sister areas in the south central Pa region and this new purchase was also 2 sister areas and the lease in the Pittsburgh area. None of these 3 ski area groups directly competed.

This seems to be an odd opinion.

Dopes on the internet post a lot of things that don’t become “general perceptions”. Why have dopes been so successful in making this one stick?
I don’t know. I guess it’s not just the internet and maybe I shouldn’t have used the word dope. It just strikes me as a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. “Everybody knows it’s just for rich people” becomes accepted wisdom through repetition so people don’t look into affordable ways to pursue it. One of my nephews made me really frustrated recently. He gave up snowboarding because it’s too expensive. It’s only too expensive if you buy all your gear brand new and don’t hunt up some good deals on passes. I tried talking sense to him but I don’t think my message got through.

Post WW2, some American soldiers (10th mountain division specifically) came back from Europe with a love of skiing and the vision to see that the USA had the mountains to support the skiing. These visionaries developed the 'ski business' that brought us to where we are today.
This is true but weren’t those guys were in the 10th because they had already learned to love skiing during the 30s when it really exploded as a sport in the US?

Back