F Vail

Lot’s of places that are now Vail places that I wanted to go to before Vail took over. WB was one of them. Not interested in any of them anymore.
Glad I got to enjoy the Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons in UT before these mega passes ruined them.

Lot’s of places that are now Vail places that I wanted to go to before Vail took over. WB was one of them. Not interested in any of them anymore.
Glad I got to enjoy the Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons in UT before these mega passes ruined them.
Well said
My wife asked me if I wanted to go to slc for a long weekend.

bcc was not busy
Solitude lived up to its name befor the passes.
Yes lcc was a zoo on snow days. But now it’s at another level

Traffic in the cottonwoods has been a problem for a lot longer than mega passes existed, as seen in this article dated 2013. https://straightchuter.com/little-cottonwood-canyon-hurry-up-wait/

But sure, let's complain that western skiing is affordable for more people now.
I went to SLC for 6 years in a row in the early 2010's. I used to be able to get tickets at the hotel or ski shop for $60. Now the best you can do at Snowbird is $142 for a midweek day. And no, I don't want to buy one of their "cheap" season passes and never will. I want to ski different areas and not just those on the pass. Every time I was there I skied a different area every day. Never had a problem with traffic in the Canyons and never had to pay to park on top of the ticket price.

For LCC/BCC my take is that the growing population of SLC was a bigger factor starting before the Ikon pass existed.

For LCC/BCC my take is that the growing population of SLC was a bigger factor starting before the Ikon pass existed.
Do you think the Ikon pass made it any better? What percentage would you guess each contributed to the crowding?
Whatever the cause, I'm glad I got there before it was the sh!t show it is today.

Do you think the Ikon pass made it any better? What percentage would you guess each contributed to the crowding?
Whatever the cause, I'm glad I got there before it was the sh!t show it is today.
I saw the percentage for LCC the first year Ikon existed. It was a deep powder season. Ikon accounted for about 5% of the visits. Season pass usage was up significantly. Close to 50% as I remember. Presumably most of those people were local, not travelers from out of state using Ikon. Although there were clearly locals who got Ikon that season instead of an Alta or Snowbird season pass. In short, take out the extra ski days by locals and there would've been less complaining about Ikon ruining the powder.

Agree that it was nicer when Alta was emptier. Although I fully appreciate the high speed ride to the top of Collins without having to get on a second lift. But I'm not the type of skier who is waiting in line for a Devil's Castle opening. Only got good enough to enjoy fresh tracks when I lucked out for a Ballroom opening a few seasons ago.

I can't think of much that isn't quite different from when I started skiing more regularly 20 years ago after I had the luxury of retiring relatively early. Guess I'm a glass-full type of person.

I'm done here since this is a VR thread, not Ikon.

I want to ski different areas and not just those on the pass.
I have never understood this point. If you are going to ski a few days an an Epic or Ikon or Indy Pass mountain and it works out to be less than (or even close to) the cost of the pass why not get the pass? You can still ski other mountains. Heck, some places (i.e., Jay Peak) will give you a discount if you show them your pass.

Back