F Vail

First of all, let's get something straight. Vail is a horribly mismanaged company. That is different than saying it's a profitable or highly valuated company. They cannot deliver on their prime product, which is a pleasurable customer experience in a business that is all about literally making people happy. It's one constant fail after another. They have generated so much hate within the skier market, which, in the end, is a small demographic in America, I'm not sure how they can recover. They are their own worst enemy.
Seems like they could’ve invested some of their cash in a calendar for the blackout dates thingy

Jezuz, read a few comments. Especially the one from the person who called afterwards and still got the wrong info. Gawd, what a screwed up company. But, that's the way it is today. There is no penalty, and they know it. Take Southwest. Millions inconvenienced over Xmas, one of the worst airline debacles ever, and I just read the other day that there will be a bunch of executive promotions, and nobody got demoted or fired. Failure is not an option, because there is no failure.

Jezuz, read a few comments. Especially the one from the person who called afterwards and still got the wrong info. Gawd, what a screwed up company. But, that's the way it is today. There is no penalty, and they know it. Take Southwest. Millions inconvenienced over Xmas, one of the worst airline debacles ever, and I just read the other day that there will be a bunch of executive promotions, and nobody got demoted or fired. Failure is not an option, because there is no failure.
The penalty is don't fly their airline. Execs know people are cheap and will put up with it.

You know, Southwest really isnt that much cheaper, if at all. Consolidation and monopoly power, like in all industries, took care of that.

Seems a BC local tain’t too happy about Whistler.
"Basically, it feels as if Vail is trying to wring every last nickel out of the resort while providing the very minimum in return. I don’t believe Vail Resorts is run by ski people—or at least not B.C. ski people. It is an investment company, taking our money up front and investing that for its return. And just to be clear, none of this is directed at staff, as I think they are doing a remarkable job under the circumstances."

It sucks when ya get ancillary

The majority of the Whistler old-timers I talk to on the lifts haven’t noticed a huge change since Vail took over. Whistler sort of is what it is at this point—love it or hate it.

For example, when I ask about the crowds, they say it has been crowded for a long time before Vail took over.

Avalanche mitigation has always been slow on the Whistler side.

The t-bars aren’t running because the glaciers are melting and they can’t run them until there’s enough snow on the ground. There are longer term plans to replace them.

I’d love to see Peak-to-Creek groomed more than once a week, but I doubt it’s worth it from a cost perspective. Most skiers struggle to ski 1500 ft of vert at a time, let alone 5000+ feet of continuous vert. And most skiers seem to struggle on the steeper pitches.

The food sucks. I’ll give him that. Then again, I’ve never asked what it was like before.

It’s funny how they speak of WB as a “great Canadian icon” and longing for Canadian ownership when Blackcomb was an American operation from the start.

I think the author is longing for a place and time that’s long gone. I would argue things like climate change, the rise of remote work, shortage of housing, and population growth in the region have had more of an impact on the town and resort than any action by Vail.

Last edited:
Back