F Vail

I read once that Hunter was 60% capacity weekdays, 130 % weekends.

Even with that Boomer Pass at Sugarbush recently, which was essentially free skiing for 65+ midweek, the place was dead midweek, although Friday is the new Saturday at Killington, I am told.
Maybe 60% on a Friday - not true the rest of the week unless it snowed.

What percentage of skier visits are weekend and holidays?
If 75% of total skier visits are holiday and weekend how good a deal is epic?

Just wondering when pmb will start including parking in his math.

It's not really very revolutionary if it it only really works for midweek skiers. Every single pass out there does that.

Stowe is awesome, but it sucks.

What percentage of skier visits are weekend and holidays?

To me it feels like a race to the bottom.
The Northeast Midweek pass is only $385. I’m getting one. I can work remote and I already booked a hotel in Burlington for a Mon-Fri trip in Feb so I can use my 5 Stowe days. I booked the same thing in Rutland for Jan so I can hit Okemo for 5 days. IF they can get their act together in NH I’ll do the same for North Conway and hit Attitash & Wildcat. Even if I use just those first 10 days that’s pretty good value. I wouldn’t dream of going near any of these places on a weekend anyway.

Like I said if you can ski exclusively midweek, the world is your oyster. A pass to any mountain you love will be a great deal.

It would be interesting to see what skiing would be if everyone had the flexibility to ski every day. With all that "expanded capacity" maybe the industry would grow and the experience would be better.

As far as work goes, I do think that if everyone worked from home, every day, something would be lost. Maybe I'm just an old fart who can't imagine the future. It will be interesting to see what work looks like in 5 years.

As far as work goes, I do think that if everyone worked from home, every day, something would be lost
Yeah. I do think something would be lost
Automobiles, oatmeal, ski boots, computers, carhart beanies, coffee, baby formula, bourbon, televisions, pencils, cargo ships, Uber, pizza, Starbucks, beer, books, lawn mowers, grills, air conditioners, roads, ambulances, aspirin, kindergarten….. I guess it is a good thing not everybody works from home.

Touche. I googled "what percentage of GDP can't be WFH" with no satisfying answer.

Like I said if you can ski exclusively midweek, the world is your oyster. A pass to any mountain you love will be a great deal.

It would be interesting to see what skiing would be if everyone had the flexibility to ski every day. With all that "expanded capacity" maybe the industry would grow and the experience would be better.

As far as work goes, I do think that if everyone worked from home, every day, something would be lost. Maybe I'm just an old fart who can't imagine the future. It will be interesting to see what work looks like in 5 years.
There are a very small percentage of people who can work from home at all. Even most of these need to be in the office some percentage of the time. Data entry and call center work possibly being exceptions. Most people who need to be able to exercise independent judgement are going to want to have regular in person contact with both their superiors and subordinates. Getting everyone in a room and hashing out a problem works a lot better in a real room than a virtual room. Bringing my long winded pontification to a close, I would expect that there will always be more hours being worked from home then there were in 2019, but I would be shocked if there were ever really more hours being worked from home then there was in 2020, and I would be fairly surprised if we ever got back above 2021 levels, at least in my lifetime.

The Northeast Midweek pass is only $385. I’m getting one. I can work remote and I already booked a hotel in Burlington for a Mon-Fri trip in Feb so I can use my 5 Stowe days. I booked the same thing in Rutland for Jan so I can hit Okemo for 5 days. IF they can get their act together in NH I’ll do the same for North Conway and hit Attitash & Wildcat. Even if I use just those first 10 days that’s pretty good value. I wouldn’t dream of going near any of these places on a weekend anyway.
If you're skiing midweek, you don't have to sleep in Burlington and Rutland. Cancel that. Rooms are much easier to find Sun-Thur. up closer to lifts.

There are a very small percentage of people who can work from home at all. Even most of these need to be in the office some percentage of the time. Data entry and call center work possibly being exceptions. Most people who need to be able to exercise independent judgement are going to want to have regular in person contact with both their superiors and subordinates. Getting everyone in a room and hashing out a problem works a lot better in a real room than a virtual room. Bringing my long winded pontification to a close, I would expect that there will always be more hours being worked from home then there were in 2019, but I would be shocked if there were ever really more hours being worked from home then there was in 2020, and I would be fairly surprised if we ever got back above 2021 levels, at least in my lifetime.
Young people like to socialize. We are social animals. I'm guessing most unnatached (not married and/or with kids) really want to get back to being with other young people. It's why rents in NYC are absurd, again.

If you're skiing midweek, you don't have to sleep in Burlington and Rutland. Cancel that. Rooms are much easier to find Sun-Thur. up closer to lifts.
Two reasons. Little further away AND this far in advance is cheaper. I don’t mind a short drive. I work nights and finish @ 7:00AM so have time to kill before lifts spin. Got everything for about $70/night. I had checked during the season and everything was pretty close to double that. I don’t need anything fancy mostly Days Inn type places. I would stay in a dive hotel if it was cheap enough. As long as they cleanup the blood stains and chalk outlines and I’m good.

Back