F Vail

Linux is open sourced software.
Correct. Linux runs on lots of different hardware, including Macs. MacOS does not. Presumably VR is not selling their in-house developed software to non-Epic resorts. Aspenware will sell to any resort that is interested.

Anyone else getting offered Epic Pass Promotional pricing? I just got an email offering $75 off any of their pass options. Wonder if sales are down?

What percentage of skier visits are weekend and holidays?

To me it feels like a race to the bottom.

I read once that Hunter was 60% capacity weekdays, 130 % weekends.

Even with that Boomer Pass at Sugarbush recently, which was essentially free skiing for 65+ midweek, the place was dead midweek, although Friday is the new Saturday at Killington, I am told.

For context, where parking is a limited by available space in the west, paid parking started a few years ago. All parking at Alta, including on the spaces on the town road was paid for 2021-22 on weekends and holidays until 1pm. Season Passholders were given a code so that parking would be free. Someone who bought a day ticket in advance got a code for $15 off the $25 parking fee. Solitude went to all paid parking a few years ago. Price goes down when there are more people in the vehicle. Solitude season passes also function as a UTA bus pass. The parking fees pay for making that happen. Similar situations near Seattle I think.

The advantage ski towns like Steamboat Springs, Aspen, or Taos have is that they developed good public bus systems quite a while back. So the fact that parking near the base of lifts is limited isn't as big a deal.

Stowe hasn't made improving the bus system a priority. That requires a lot of cooperation and planning between town and ski resort, so the transportation issues started before VR bought Stowe.

Back