Coronavirus and Skiing

My derailuer hasn’t worked right since last January but getting a new one seems impossible right now. Im almost to the point where I need a new bike but I can’t afford one. Im going to keep this one running just for work purposes. Teenage daughters are expensive and I really need a new vehicle. Im probably going to have to temporarily eliminate an activity here this coming year.
I feel ya RA, I'm pretty much the last guy runnin' 2x, can't get a squeak out out of the rear brake and fork needs a re-build. I like the bike but on one hand I don't have the time to wrench like I used to and hate to keep dumping money and time into a 7 year old bike that's been ridden hard. On the other I don't feel like spending $3,500+ for essentially the same bike....

My derailuer hasn’t worked right since last January but getting a new one seems impossible right now. Im almost to the point where I need a new bike but I can’t afford one. Im going to keep this one running just for work purposes.
Went to the Ski Company today in the Cuse while runnin errands. Talked with Jimmy, a long time ski team coach for Colgate. He fixed my boots a couple years ago as I had wore too thick socks at times and screwed the liner a bit and he had fixed it with some super duct tape to allow me to get em on and off with correct socks without doing further damage. He said he hasn’t seen the supply chain inventory for ski goods this bad in his life. They appeared to have lots of skis and clothes though.
Thought about some new boots but the ones I have work great but the back of one liner is still a tad beat up.
Decided to keep runnin ‘em till they shit the bed.
Bought some new snow pants made in Germany and a pair of socks. Place was pretty busy for midday midweek. Let it snow.

I feel ya RA, I'm pretty much the last guy runnin' 2x, can't get a squeak out out of the rear brake and fork needs a re-build. I like the bike but on one hand I don't have the time to wrench like I used to and hate to keep dumping money and time into a 7 year old bike that's been ridden hard. On the other I don't feel like spending $3,500+ for essentially the same bike....
The struggle is real!

Interesting you say that
In nj I’m usually the minority,at mountain creek almost always.
Spanish is the predominant language. There is also a very strong Filipino turn out
They are all on super bikes. Top of the line yeti and Santa Cruz.
My observation on the scene in NJ is a lot of older white guys 50+ crowd, some have gotten their kids into NICA and for those types its becoming a family thing. I've definitely seen the Filipino crews, yes they always ride in crews at least 10 deep, always 1 fat bike and can confirm that the rest are on Yeti's and SC spec'd out to the nines. I feel like all those dudes have to be single with decent pocket change, their Tacoma's and 4Runners are spec'd out "overland" rigs also done up to the nines. So from my perspective its less a white privilege thing and more of a hyper consumerist pissing contest between bros. I hate mountain bike "culture" and where it's headed yet am fully entrenched.

On mountain biking in NJ. I see people riding and speaking English, and riding and speaking Spanish. Running 20 years in 2 local parks, I see that where people went over obstacles and even built them, they now tend to go around them.

My observation on the scene in NJ is a lot of older white guys 50+ crowd, some have gotten their kids into NICA and for those types its becoming a family thing. I've definitely seen the Filipino crews, yes they always ride in crews at least 10 deep, always 1 fat bike and can confirm that the rest are on Yeti's and SC spec'd out to the nines. I feel like all those dudes have to be single with decent pocket change, their Tacoma's and 4Runners are spec'd out "overland" rigs also done up to the nines. So from my perspective its less a white privilege thing and more of a hyper consumerist pissing contest between bros. I hate mountain bike "culture" and where it's headed yet am fully entrenched.

well put
you are spot on!! I only have a pissing contest with myself, since i usually ride with solo.
that said, hoping to ride the new trail at ring on Saturday..

Not super white dudes. This is where I grew up riding. Back then we didn’t have trail heads or wood work, it was all jeep and quad trails. It’s great to see some progression since then as well as minorities enjoying trails.

Last edited:
uh oh.

Welp, at least I have a 13-year warning.
There is a reason that the term "tween" has become part of a parent's vocabulary. Can start by age 7 although supposedly 8-12. Lucky for me I did some reading by the time my daughter was 6. ;)

When she was a tween, that's when skiing with mom was no longer so much fun for her. Had to find a ski buddy her age, although any other adult would do.

Back