Coronavirus and Skiing

Lot of good bikes that much cheaper
I’m just mentally ill
I bought mine new at a local shop over the summer (got lucky to find one)--- specialized stumpjumper alloy $2,500 and it's awesome. I didn't go with a Carbon frame which would have added $$$'s--- and for me personally I could stand to lose >7lbs around the middle which is way cheaper than buying a lighter carbon framed bike :)

I know guys that buy used bikes on Pinkbike.com and you can save pretty good. Also Craigslist. I'm a relative newb but have found mountain bike trail riding to be healthy, endurance building and making my legs much stronger for skiing and is something I enjoy almost as much as skiing.

looking for a new ride but don't want to spend that much :unsure:
Giant has decent bikes that are more affordable. 4-5k though is kind of standard now for good mountain bikes unfortunately.

Some people probably spend that kind of cash on home entertainment centers. Think of it as an investment for your physical and mental health.

I bought mine new at a local shop over the summer (got lucky to find one)--- specialized stumpjumper alloy $2,500 and it's awesome. I didn't go with a Carbon frame which would have added $$$'s--- and for me personally I could stand to lose >7lbs around the middle which is way cheaper than buying a lighter carbon framed bike :)

I know guys that buy used bikes on Pinkbike.com and you can save pretty good. Also Craigslist. I'm a relative newb but have found mountain bike trail riding to be healthy, endurance building and making my legs much stronger for skiing and is something I enjoy almost as much as skiing.
Giant has decent bikes that are more affordable. 4-5k though is kind of standard now for good mountain bikes unfortunately.

Some people probably spend that kind of cash on home entertainment centers. Think of it as an investment for your physical and mental health.
oh I know, I'm riding a trance now that i got as a leftover model year (when there was such a thing). I have issue with that in the industry, soon to be another exclusive white privilege activity / sport but that's a rant for another day/thread...

oh I know, I'm riding a trance now that i got as a leftover model year (when there was such a thing). I have issue with that in the industry, soon to be another exclusive white privilege activity / sport but that's a rant for another day/thread...
My derailuer hasn’t worked right since last January but getting a new one seems impossible right now. Im almost to the point where I need a new bike but I can’t afford one. Im going to keep this one running just for work purposes. Teenage daughters are expensive and I really need a new vehicle. Im probably going to have to temporarily eliminate an activity here this coming year.

Last edited:
Interesting you say that
In nj I’m usually the minority,at mountain creek almost always.
Spanish is the predominant language. There is also a very strong Filipino turn out
They are all on super bikes. Top of the line yeti and Santa Cruz.

If I'm reading this correctly, you joined just 2 days ago, and all your posts so far are politically charged anti-vax nonsense. That sounds like a troll to me.
Perhaps, but what’s the point in trolling here? I’ll take truths at his word.

Mow that I’m caught up, seems a moot point, so nvm!

Last edited:
I agree MTB has really changed my life where I'm not spending the summer wishing it was winter. My bike is a crappy ($1000? I forget) Giant, and I really like it. It's feels light and rigid to me. I'm sure if I "did my research" I could be convinced my bike sucks.

Teenage daughters are expensive

I feel your pain RA. When you come east I'm buying a round at Plattekill for all of us.

My derailuer hasn’t worked right since last January but getting a new one seems impossible right now. Im almost to the point where I need a new bike but I can’t afford one. Im going to keep this one running just for work purposes. Teenage daughters are expensive and I really need a new vehicle. Im probably going to have to temporarily eliminate an activity here this coming year.
As someone else once told me, you buy a bike for the frame, the rest of it can be upgraded... once you can find the parts :)

I agree MTB has really changed my life where I'm not spending the summer wishing it was winter. My bike is a crappy ($1000? I forget) Giant, and I really like it. It's feels light and rigid to me. I'm sure if I "did my research" I could be convinced my bike sucks.

I feel your pain RA. When you come east I'm buying a round at Plattekill for all of us.
One of the guys I ride with has the Specialized Rockhopper Expert hard tail, ~$1,000 and it's pretty nice, so I'm sure yours isn't a piece of junk either.

I'd also agree MTB has changed my life. As a fortuitous lark, my wife and I bought MTB's at the end of 2019 without any research --- we just happened to walk by our local bike shop and decided to go in and look around. We test rode a couple bikes and bought an hour later. Neither of us had ridden in at least 10 years. Turned out we liked it a lot and it was a fantastic way to spend our summer 2020 when a lot was shut down and we didn't want to be crowded around other people. I'm already on my second bike :)

Yes I'd say MTB leaves me with some of the same feeling I get skiing... outdoors, fresh air, physical activity, exploring nature and ending the day having a beer or two afterward with family or friends.... pretty much like a day skiing :)

Back