Coronavirus and Skiing

Speaking of Canada, RCR has decided to require vaccination not only for indoor spaces but also for chairlifts. They can make use of the app available for checking vaccination status.

This is from the Kicking Horse website. It applies to Fernie, Kimberly, and Nakiska too. Plus Monte-Sainte Anne and Stoneham.
Mont-Sainte-Anne’s website says differently, just sayin.

According to current Public Health guidelines, the Vaccination Passport will not be required for outdoor free practice sports activities, such as skiing. However, it is mandatory to present one's Vaccination Passport and an ID card for service at the Chouette bar. Thank you for your cooperation!

Mont-Sainte-Anne’s website says differently, just sayin.

According to current Public Health guidelines, the Vaccination Passport will not be required for outdoor free practice sports activities, such as skiing. However, it is mandatory to present one's Vaccination Passport and an ID card for service at the Chouette bar. Thank you for your cooperation!

Stand corrected. Although that's from September I think. The vaccination info for Kicking Horse and Nakiska is dated Nov. 1, 2021.

I didn't bother to check the entire list posted on another ski forum. But makes some sense because Mont-Sainte-Anne is in Québec. The Canadian provinces aren't any more consistent about public health rules related to COVID-19 than the American states. Guess RCR is more like Alterra than Vail Resorts. There are differences in operations between resorts depending on region.

Can't even find anything for the upcoming season on the Stoneham website. The latest info is from April 2021 . . . last season.

This is what was announced on CTV in Montreal. Québec has been working on a vaccine passport for a while. Interesting about "scarf and neck warmer" being acceptable.

"In order to allow them to operate at full capacity, a vaccination passport will be required for all activities requiring the use of a ski lift including downhill skiing and tubing. People must wear a face cover in closed gondolas, though and scarf and neck warmer will be considered acceptable.

A vaccination passport will not be required for outdoor winter sports and activities such as cross-country skiing, hockey, though participants must be able to keep one metre apart, and masks will be required in indoor facilities, like chalets and cabins. A vaccination passport and mask will be required to access catering areas and bars."

This is what was announced on CTV in Montreal. Québec has been working on a vaccine passport for a while. Interesting about "scarf and neck warmer" being acceptable.
A vaccination passport will not be required for outdoor winter sports and activities such as cross-country skiing, hockey, though participants must be able to keep one metre apart, and masks will be required in indoor facilities, like chalets and cabins. A vaccination passport and mask will be required to access catering areas and bars."
Sad story regarding fully vaccinated folks playin hockey recently in Ontario.

I hate these clickbait headlines. From what I can tell, all the cases that came from that event were mild or asymptomatic. In my opinion, a huge impediment to getting back to normal and restoring the economy has been the failure of public health authorities, elected officials, and the media to bifurcate raw case numbers and severe outcomes. It causes people to overestimate their risk and not feel safe.

I hate these clickbait headlines. From what I can tell, all the cases that came from that event were mild or asymptomatic. In my opinion, a huge impediment to getting back to normal and restoring the economy has been the failure of public health authorities, elected officials, and the media to bifurcate raw case numbers and severe outcomes. It causes people to overestimate their risk and not feel safe.
Sorry, just came across it.
I thought it was odd that according to Marz’s italics above ya could play hockey outdoors without a passport but ya couldn’t ride a chairlift, allegedly. Didn’t make sense to me.
Here’s a non-clickbait from their local news.
Folks are trying to find out what happened.
www.thestar.com/local-newmarket/news/2021/11/01/is-indoor-hockey-safe-the-search-for-answers-in-mysterious-covid-19-outbreak.

Last edited:
Sorry,
Here’s a non-clickbait from their local news.
Folks are trying to find out what happened.
www.thestar.com/local-newmarket/news/2021/11/01/is-indoor-hockey-safe-the-search-for-answers-in-mysterious-covid-19-outbreak.
Ah, so the death was of a 75 year old.

Guess the people writing the articles probably didn't hear about the July 4th breakthrough cases on Cape Cod that made it clear being fully vaccinated does NOT prevent getting COVID-19. That's what lead to the change in recommendations for masking indoors. The vaccines are only designed to make it much less likely that someone who gets infected doesn't have serious symptoms or dies.

Something like 75% of the breakthrough deaths in the CDC data are of people over 65, with many over 80.

"A “mystifying” COVID-19 outbreak among fully vaccinated adult rec hockey players in York Region has led to calls for a full investigation.

The virus spread like wildfire among players in adult leagues earlier this month — with 15 confirmed cases and one 75-year-old’s death — and has raised a spiderweb of concerns about indoor sport safety, vaccine verification and dangers that might be lurking in the air, especially in hockey rinks and older facilities.
. . ."

Back