Coronavirus and Skiing

I guess I was in the base at the wrong times (7:30 am). The right times. Never went in the saddle.

Vail has posted their operating plan for this season here. While this link is for Hunter, it's the exact same thing at all their resorts. For me, and anyone else who wanted a normal season, the mandatory indoor mask policy will come as a major disappointment. However, there is plenty of good news here. There will be no reservation system, all lifts (including gondolas) will return to full capacity, and no masks required outdoors. You win some you lose some I guess. I'm sure there are some hypochondriacs out there who didn't want full capacity lifts. They are also requiring proof of vaccination to eat inside. Though I'm not an Epic Pass holder, last year, many other resorts modeled their operational plans from Vail, so it is relevant.
It's early in the ballgame. The trend would suggest this will change, and not a change we will like.

Be interesting to see how many use the lodges. At Gore I went in twice last year, and it was empty. If they stick with their mask requirement I probably go in a few times this year too.
Never set foot in a lodge last year.
Went to the bar a couple times for a draft but drank em on the heated patio outside in the sunshine.
Some folks did some grillin too.
EZ Peazy.

I booted up in the Gore lodge last year after about mid-season, but by the end of the year I was dragging chairs out of the bar into the big room. The back rooms were too crowded for me. Otherwise I didn't spend too much time inside, and I didn't miss it. I don't mind booting up in the car if I can park in the first lot.

The few days I skied at ABasin it was easier to change shoes in the car than to go into the lodge.

The outdoor rules are way more important to me than the indoor rules.

mm

Straight Brook Lodge at the summit of Gore was a good place for bagged lunch or the warming hut on top of Burnt Ridge. I tried to avoid all other lodges, boot up at the car etc. Probably do much of the same this year.

I hope they come up with better system for the Gondola line. White Face had a decent system that seemed to move the line and keep people relatively distant.

Straight Brook Lodge at the summit of Gore was a good place for bagged lunch or the warming hut on top of Burnt Ridge. I tried to avoid all other lodges, boot up at the car etc. Probably do much of the same this year.

I hope they come up with better system for the Gondola line. White Face had a decent system that seemed to move the line and keep people relatively distant.
Vail Resorts is returning to full lift capacity and regular queue configurations, so you won't be kept distant. Not as confident in ORDA doing that.

Frankly the best strategy for a gondola line would be to make people keep their skis on in the line until just before loading.

tjf. Your sister is a hero, she had your back so you did the right thing turning in your n-95 masks to 1st responders, as I said it was early in the pandemic that Marznc was bragging about using N-95 masks for skiing , that is what is meant by privilege and it makes the rest of us skiers look bad

Back