Coronavirus and Skiing

A terrorist though? Maybe.

I hadn't thought about that. Certainly possible. Still seems more likely that something they do all the time at Wuhan went wrong. IMO got to be classified as human error, even if the equipment failed.

My question... does virus research have any altruistic purpose? Does it even have the potential to benefit man or planet?

I'm asking because I don't know. I know I can google it. I will.

I hadn't thought about that. Certainly possible. Still seems more likely that something they do all the time at Wuhan went wrong. IMO got to be classified as human error, even if the equipment failed.

My question... does virus research have any altruistic purpose? Does it even have the potential to benefit man or planet?

I'm asking because I don't know. I know I can google it. I will.
Maybe the more we know about viruses the better we can fight them and create vaccines?

Developing new viruses seems like it would be more about using them for biological warfare but I have no idea.

I think the idea is to be able to develop vaccines and treatments against the viruses. That being said it seems like a decent percentage of the medical/scientific community turned against “gain of function” research awhile ago, which is the controversy. It seems like the most likely scenario, in my inexpert opinion, is that the lab was super-charging this virus for whatever reason, it slipped out accidentally and the Chinese covered it up while doing what they could to protect the rest of their country and not doing anything to protect other countries. I’m open to the idea that once they were dealing with it, they purposely made sure everybody would have to deal with it too but obviously don‘t know one way or the other.

I think the idea is to be able to develop vaccines and treatments against the viruses. That being said it seems like a decent percentage of the medical/scientific community turned against “gain of function” research awhile ago, which is the controversy. It seems like the most likely scenario, in my inexpert opinion, is that the lab was super-charging this virus for whatever reason, it slipped out accidentally and the Chinese covered it up while doing what they could to protect the rest of their country and not doing anything to protect other countries. I’m open to the idea that once they were dealing with it, they purposely made sure everybody would have to deal with it too but obviously don‘t know one way or the other.
Is the Chinese culture a lot like the Japanese in regards to honor and saving face etc.? If so the cover up makes complete sense.

In my inexpert opinion we ain’t ever gonna know where and when the bat poo flu virus came but it’s spike protein amino acid sequence look to be somewhat engineered.
By whom we’ll most likely never know.
Don’t get a lot on ya. Stay well.

Last edited:
This is sweet and should help.
Scientists @ UCSD and elsewhere figured out a way the spike protein opens to be able to infect cells.
It’s related to sugar on an amino acid. There’s videos too.

Back