Coronavirus and Skiing

Slic....just like their name. They bought out gore mountain cable in north creek. Was paying $27 a month for basic cable. Next month it was $40 a month. Fuck them. We are only there on weekends. Now I listen to Sirius.

Who are you using for internet?

I'd kill for $27 or $40 cable down here. Internet, phone and cable is bundled for $200. And they don't really let you un bundle. Who needs phone? Not me. Remove phone from the plan? Price is still $200.

Who are you using for internet?

I'd kill for $27 or $40 cable down here. Internet, phone and cable is bundled for $200. And they don't really let you un bundle. Who needs phone? Not me. Remove phone from the plan? Price is still $200.
No phone. No cable. I had a dish or two for a while. Once my son was towards the end of HS, we weren't watching TV, so I cancelled that. Now, my TV and the ancient ps3 that I stream with will stay unplugged for weeks.

i cut the cord 3-4 years ago. very liberating. put $20 antennas on all the tv's for local news stations. got high speed internet through Verizon, sling tv(for yankee games) and netflixs. all in was about $105/mo. Spectrum harassed me for years to come back. finally they offered high speed and cable for $85/mo. I have no cable boxes and stream cable through roku sticks. all was good until last month when my bill jumped to $130. just waiting for a good offer from Verizon and i will tell spectrum to go screw again.

Cut the cord last December and yes, the $20 antenna works just fine! PBS "Create" channel is the bomb! That and $60/mo. internet service. Discovered that the library system is amazing and have been engulfed in many classic works of literature. This "pandemic" has taught me that I really don't need that much after all. Mask...a total of ten times in the last year...only b/c I had dinner with my wife and didn't want to cause a scene. Fortunately my business (construction related) is one where mask wearing is shunned. Shopping? Um, no - can get everything online. Skiing, why yes - went to VT and stayed in an AirBNB several times...owner was more than happy to take my money. Vaccine - HELL NO. My 57 years of natural immunity has served me well. Vitamin C, D and Zinc are the only vaccine that I need.

We just use the place on weekends. No internet, no cable, just cell phone. Will be putting up an antenna on the roof this summer to see what free air tv is available. I am retiring this year. That was a $500/year savings plus I cancelled our land line at home, another $400/year.

A lot of these people have wanted to move to a more “lifestyle” oriented location for years, but were tied to their job’s location. “WFH” has exploded in the last year and has no doubt changed how lots of jobs will be done permanently.
They often are coming from a location where the prices are already so high that the newly inflated listing prices in Mountainsburg don’t intimidate them.

All bubbles burst eventually.
The Haudenosaunee Confederacy Chiefs Council in Canada ain’t happy with developments near the river.

The southeast had a banner year for assorted reasons. Primarily because Mother Nature was very helpful so the enhanced snowmaking put in the place the last few years meant that bases were very deep early on. Not having a major thaw in January was a welcome surprise. Of course, the approaches taken in VA, NC, WV, and TN towards dealing with the pandemic was also a major factor. While being farther south means a shorter season, it also means that it's not frigid that often. There were clearly people who decided to give skiing/boarding a try since they could drive for an outdoor activity and didn't necessarily need to invest in "ski clothes."

Only three very small hills (App, Wolf Creek, Homestead) didn't have more skier visits than usual.

" . . .​

But Let’s Finish Nicely…

I’ve spoken with numerous resort managers and presidents, including Winterplace Resort, President, Terry Pfeiffer who shared, “Mike, we have learned so much during this past season that we ended up putting things in place probably five-to-ten years before we would have otherwise – that we will keep in place for seasons to come.”
What that meant was that doing ski lessons bookings in advance – AND even lift ticket purchases in advance might be here to stay for many ski resorts going forward – with or without the influence of any kind of covid-related impetus.
If you think about it, most often you can’t get on a golf course without a tee time. By knowing how many people are coming in advance, ski resorts can better manage rental equipment and even team resources to know in advance whether they need more people for ski school etc.
We’ll see how things go this summer and fall in terms of tourism. Every bit of intel that I am hearing says that this summer will be yet another record breaker for our mountain communities.
. . ."​

Last edited:
I cut the cord a few years ago. Verizon internet (Jersey) and youtube TV. Up north, I use apple air play to send YouTube TV from my phone to the TV. YouTube let’s you set the quality on your phone so I don’t run out of data.
I had frontier DSL which worked well for two years. Then something happened and service was horrible during peak times.

The southeast had a banner year for assorted reasons.
I’ve spoken with numerous resort managers and presidents,...ended up putting things in place probably five-to-ten years before we would have otherwise – that we will keep in place for seasons to come.”
What that meant was that doing ski lessons bookings in advance – AND even lift ticket purchases in advance might be here to stay for many ski resorts going forward – with or without the influence of any kind of covid-related impetus.
If you think about it, most often you can’t get on a golf course without a tee time. By knowing how many people are coming in advance, ski resorts can better manage rental equipment and even team resources to know in advance whether they need more people for ski school etc.
Every bit of intel that I am hearing says that this summer will be yet another record breaker for our mountain communities.
Said this a bit ago in the Passes for 20-21 thread:

Golf set recent records for rounds played this season even dealing with Covid restrictions.
Courses use tee times allowing for controlled access.
Have ski mountains thought of (or implemented) a similar access system for managing masses?

Back