Coronavirus and Skiing

Said this a bit ago in the Passes for 20-21 thread:

Golf set recent records for rounds played this season even dealing with Covid restrictions.
Courses use tee times allowing for controlled access.
Have ski mountains thought of (or implemented) a similar access system for managing masses?
the guy at southeast ski said the weather was not as crazy great as many perceived?. WTF who the hell thought they had a crazy great year? They had big snowfall deficits, I wish I could have a sit down with the guy that runs that site and set him straight on integrity, amazing that people fall for such garbage, , that is a site geared to generate people on slopes for ski areas bye kissing up to ski areas, that’s why NYskiblog is so good, record numbers from the overcrowding vail brought to the area along with snowshoe selling out

Last edited:
Said this a bit ago in the Passes for 20-21 thread:

Golf set recent records for rounds played this season even dealing with Covid restrictions.
Courses use tee times allowing for controlled access.
Have ski mountains thought of (or implemented) a similar access system for managing masses?
Thanks for highlighting the golf comparison. It is a delusional comparison. A golf course might see a couple hundred rounds per day at best spread over an average 18 hole course at 150 acres. There is a limit of how long golfers are on the course. A small ski area like Plattekill might see a couple thousand skiers per day, on a similar acreage, and the only limit is when the lifts turn on and off.
Maybe ski areas should to go back to charging per ride.

Thanks for highlighting the golf comparison. It is a delusional comparison. A golf course might see a couple hundred rounds per day at best spread over an average 18 hole course at 150 acres. There is a limit of how long golfers are on the course. A small ski area like Plattekill might see a couple thousand skiers per day, on a similar acreage, and the only limit is when the lifts turn on and off.
Maybe ski areas should to go back to charging per ride.
Thanks X , the golf comparison is not even close, that website is commercial trash

Agree golfers and skiers have different access needs and wants.
Point being is what's best to manage crowds during a pandemic.
Ski-ticket restrictions were put in place in NY at some places on some days this year to try to limit overcrowding.

Agree golfers and skiers have different access needs and wants.
Point being is what's best to manage crowds during a pandemic.
Ski-ticket restrictions were put in place in NY at some places on some days this year to try to limit overcrowding.
Good point

the guy at southeast ski said the weather was not as crazy great as many perceived?. WTF who the hell thought they had a crazy great year? They had big snowfall deficits, I wish I could have a sit down with the guy that runs that site and set him straight on integrity, amazing that people fall for such garbage, that is a site geared to generate people on slopes for ski areas bye kissing up to ski areas, that’s why NYskiblog is so good, record numbers from the overcrowding vail brought to the area along with snowshoe selling out

Thanks for the props man, but not sure I get all this. We've established you don't like DCSki and I guess here is another? I've certainly been called a ski area suckup plenty of times, I guess it's just not an official arrangement. Let it go man, life it too short.

I don't get that. You have to move immediately? You can't wait for things to cool down?

Do experts think there is no turning back on prices? Materials are through the roof too. I'm hoping they settle down when we go to build in 3 years.
Material prices are ridiculous and shortages of certain materials are another painful situation to deal with. Fortunately, I have 90% of what I need to complete my project. I feel for those who are just starting out or even worse, mid-stream on their projects in need of the balance of materials to complete their build..

I'm optimistic, or maybe hopeful is a better word, that in two years those material prices will be back to normal. If not we'll have to rethink everything.

Where are you building @Jon951 ?

LP and it has been a challenge but everything is under control now thanks to those who I have identified and willing to understand my position on how I expect nothing less than the application of ethics and a reasonable level of skilled work applied to my project. I prob sound like the most anal project/micro manager, however, I am not and probably one of the most reasonable customers to deal and work with.
As a former boss used to say to those of choice, "Just do your f'ing job".
Not knocking the workforce in the North Country...there's good and bad everywhere (esp in my state of primary residence). I electrical contracted in the state of NJ for 16 years...kinda have an idea of whats right and wrong when it comes to constructing a residential build. It's not rocket science and if one choses to cut corners, they should be caled out on it. Of course this leads to lots of friction and accusation of micro-management. My take is...well, it's too freakin bad...I'm paying for this, not looking for perfection, and if you are going to completely miss the mark in terms of performance and utilization of materials, then you deserve to get a ration of crap about it. And the claims of "we do things differently up her" is complete bs as cutting corners as demonstrated only exasperated the need for remediation of a host of issues due to corner cutting. The saving grace of my project was I cut bait wile the framing was still exposed and I could see the "bones" of the place and know exactly what needed attention. Unfortunately, I did not sign up to become the GC, however, in the end it will certainly work out better this way. Bottom line: pick and choose one's contractor caerfully. Do the due dilligence required to vet the pool of contractor's to choose from before making the choice to hire one. In my case this actually backfired out of the gate, but as I mentioned, ultimately I will have a better product. I also made a number of friends in the trades as I moved on and found the people who understood how to perform and put in a respectable day's work which was also a huge plus because I know I can count on them in the future if the need arises.

Bottom line: pick and choose one's contractor caerfully.

For the truly good ones you'll wait at least a year, if not two, to get them. Plus they don't even advertise, it's all word of mouth. My BIL is a builder in the Northville area who specializes in timber homes. He's currently 2 years out. No website, no yellow page add, he used to have a FB page but now he can't even be bothered to do that.

Back