Coronavirus and Skiing

What are you going to do if you pop your knee in a situation like that?
I feel like if I
  • stay close to home
  • avoid the gondola and lodge
  • wear a mask and practice social distancing
then I can ski no problem. But if I break a leg or whatever and have to go to an overburdened hospital because I was a dumbshit, I'd feel absolutely terrible.

France on lock down through at least Dec 1, French ski resorts cancelling planned openings at this time...

Tell, please?

If a person wants to visit New York or if a resident left New York for more than 24 hours, they must first take a COVID test that proves they are negative within days prior to their arrival.https://www.recordonline.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/31/visiting-new-york-covid-quarantine-test-what-to-know/6102236002/

If a person wants to visit New York or if a resident left New York for more than 24 hours, they must first take a COVID test that proves they are negative within days prior to their arrival.https://www.recordonline.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/31/visiting-new-york-covid-quarantine-test-what-to-know/6102236002/
Far more sensible than a list of states that changes every week. Putting the basics here since the article is somewhat behind a firewall.

". . .

Here's the new policy

Visiting from a non-contiguous state: If a person wants to visit New York or if a resident left New York for more than 24 hours and wants to return, they must first take a COVID test that proves they are negative within three days prior to their arrival.

Arriving in New York: When a visitor or resident returns to the state, even after a negative test before arrival, they have to quarantine for three days. Then, on the fourth day, they need to take another COVID test. If it's negative, they can be released from quarantine. If not, they have to fulfill a 14-day quarantine.

Leaving New York for less than 24 hours: If a person left New York to a non-border state for less than 24 hours, the traveler would not need to take a test before a return. But he or she would need to take a COVID test after four days.

Dealing with border states: For New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Vermont, the testing requirements do not apply because how often people might travel between the states for work or personal trips, Cuomo said.

Cuomo said people traveling from out of state for more than 24 hours would essentially have two tests within seven days that should help detect most positive cases.

"The mandatory quarantine is actually three days upon arrival, you can get a test on the fourth day. The test says you’re negative, that’s that," Cuomo explained.

"So you will have a test within three days of arrival, that says your negative, a test four days after arrival that says you’re negative. Four days plus three days is seven days, and that is basically by all probability the incubation period."
. . ."

I wonder how something like that will hold up, legally. A tax paying resident of NY could be precluded from returning to their domicile for an extended period, assuming they travel and then test positive. Can they do that?

This new restriction would make ski travel harder, for me at least. I typically do a 3 day weekend somewhere out West.

I could get a test the day I leave NY (say Friday). I’d get on a plane not knowing if the result was negative. If it was I’d have 72 hours to begin my return travel. Test at 3pm on Friday, I’d have to be on a plane by 3pm Monday. So, two days of skiing as opposed to three. I suppose if I flew out on a Friday and could schedule a test out there Saturday then a third day of skiing Monday could be possible. Then I have to deal with quarantine/test upon return.

That could be doable, if I decided travel was worth the risk/trouble.

If you are traveling for longer you’d need to make appointments to have a test done where you are traveling to....and hope it comes back neg.

It would suck to travel, test positive, then not be able to return home.

I guess airlines are going to require a copy of your negative result before they let you board?

Last edited:
I've heard that people who flew into Hawaii but had used the wrong type of test were required to do the 14-day quarantine. Clearly the airlines are not checking before people board.

A friend is hesitant about flying for a ski trip because he tends to pick up some crud during that kind of trip. Airlines are not letting people with Covid-like symptoms get on board. He's considered bringing work along in case he has to delay his return home.

Like JTG said, with our system of Federalism, I believe these State "restrictions" on travel are almost more like guidelines at least for vehicle travel. Traveling by air is different.

Back