Coronavirus and Skiing

I wonder how something like that will hold up, legally. A tax paying resident of NY could be precluded from returning to their domicile for an extended period, assuming they travel and then test positive. Can they do that?

This new restriction would make ski travel harder, for me at least. I typically do a 3 day weekend somewhere out West.

I could get a test the day I leave NY (say Friday). I’d get on a plane not knowing if the result was negative. If it was I’d have 72 hours to begin my return travel. Test at 3pm on Friday, I’d have to be on a plane by 3pm Monday. So, two days of skiing as opposed to three. I suppose if I flew out on a Friday and could schedule a test out there Saturday then a third day of skiing Monday could be possible. Then I have to deal with quarantine/test upon return.

That could be doable, if I decided travel was worth the risk/trouble.

If you are traveling for longer you’d need to make appointments to have a test done where you are traveling to....and hope it comes back neg.

It would suck to travel, test positive, then not be able to return home.

I guess airlines are going to require a copy of your negative result before they let you board?
They are like stop lights in Italy, just suggestions

They are like stop lights in Italy, just suggestions
Marcski made the key distinction though. If traveling by car it’s an honor system, but for air travel (and perhaps through other transportation hubs) we’ll have to see. Flying into NY you risk a hefty fine if you don’t fill out the traveller form, if you can even get off the plane and out of the airport without compliance. It will be interesting to see if airlines require a test in hand to even board. My daughter flies back from CA Wednesday, assuming the test she just has done comes back neg. Once you are on record with the traveler form it seems the State may (or at least could) expect follow up reporting on the testing requirements. There could be daily fines for noncompliance.

Sure, there are a lot of coulds and maybes there, but being on record with a form I’m not sure I’d want to risk potential fines, if there is any kind of enforcement.

My comment had more to do with the constitutionality of preventing a resident from returning to their home, and if that aspect finds its way into the courts.

"exempting the contiguous states.." ???
NJ, PA, CT, MA....too much interstate travel/commerce between them to effectively restrict. For better or worse that seems to put economics over virus mitigation?

"exempting the contiguous states.." ???
Mostly only mentioning PA, NJ, CT specifically. The idea is that too many people commute daily so any travel restriction is completely impractical.

Dealing with COVID-19 and potential community spread is a balancing act. Obviously if everyone stayed home except for grocery shopping for a month, then transmission would slow down quickly. But far too many downsides. Whether or not travel restrictions really work is harder to say. But for a region that is noticeably different that can minimize people coming in who are less likely to be following safety guidelines like mask usage and keeping their distance from even friends and family, certainly can help decrease the number of travelers wandering around infecting people. Still plenty of people who don't understand that could be infectious for several days before having any symptoms. Or that wearing a mask is to protect others more than just to protect them from getting COVID-19.

Marcski made the key distinction though. If traveling by car it’s an honor system, but for air travel (and perhaps through other transportation hubs) we’ll have to see. Flying into NY you risk a hefty fine if you don’t fill out the traveller form, if you can even get off the plane and out of the airport without compliance. It will be interesting to see if airlines require a test in hand to even board. My daughter flies back from CA Wednesday, assuming the test she just has done comes back neg. Once you are on record with the traveler form it seems the State may (or at least could) expect follow up reporting on the testing requirements. There could be daily fines for noncompliance.

Sure, there are a lot of coulds and maybes there, but being on record with a form I’m not sure I’d want to risk potential fines, if there is any kind of enforcement.

My comment had more to do with the constitutionality of preventing a resident from returning to their home, and if that aspect finds its way into the courts.
don’t know what he thinks, I was talking about driving, flying just doesn’t make sense with covid

Last edited:
Back