Coronavirus and Skiing

It is difficult to predict what will happen, but I am optimistic. State authorities have been focusing closings on specific locations, micro targeting. It seems unlikely that there will be a wholesale closure of all ski areas as happened in March, however if the numbers keep going up anything can happen. Hopefully we will see another peak and then the numbers will improve. It seems that when things get bad people start to adhere to recommendations like mask wearing and staying at home more seriously. I think there will be a lot less people at the ski areas this winter because youth programs like group ski lesson are not going to be there and it will be difficult for spontaneous trips due to the reservation rules. Finally, anyone who has been part of youth hockey will not be surprised at what happened at the rinks in VT and MA.

Based on the latest VT map from Oct 20, 2020, nobody will be legally skiing in VT on a day trip or weekend trip.
Screenshot (67).png

Being retired, I plan to do mostly mid week skiing. If I ski weekends I will likely ski the morning only so I can avoid the lodge at lunch time.

Tom

Based on the latest VT map from Oct 20, 2020, nobody will be legally skiing in VT on a day trip or weekend trip.
How do you interpret the VT travel restrictions for people driving? If someone lives 3 hours from a VT ski resort, can they do the 14-day self-quarantine at their home? So someone who is working for home, a day trip might be legal. Or can someone get tested and only quarantine for 7 days before driving to VT for a 1-week ski vacation?

Obviously for someone who lives farther away, following the guidelines gets a lot harder. Note that I'm thinking more about people who live in PA, DE, MD, northern VA. Driving from NC to VT is ridiculous for skiing in general. I only did it for a few years when I had other reasons to drive to Lake Placid or Boston.

Vermont is advertising to us:

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 7.53.30 AM.png

These guidelines are all well and good but I'll go to mountains when I feel I can do it without exposing myself self to the sludge.

How do you interpret the VT travel restrictions for people driving? If someone lives 3 hours from a VT ski resort, can they do the 14-day self-quarantine at their home? So someone who is working for home, a day trip might be legal. Or can someone get tested and only quarantine for 7 days before driving to VT for a 1-week ski vacation?

Obviously for someone who lives farther away, following the guidelines gets a lot harder. Note that I'm thinking more about people who live in PA, DE, MD, northern VA. Driving from NC to VT is ridiculous for skiing in general. I only did it for a few years when I had other reasons to drive to Lake Placid or Boston.

From the VT site:

"Quarantine means staying at a home or dwelling before doing any activities outside of the home, like grocery shopping or getting together with friends or family. People in quarantine should separate themselves from others and check themselves for symptoms."

there is this:

"Quarantining Before Coming IS an Option
If you plan to travel to Vermont in a personal vehicle (including a rental vehicle or private plane), you may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in your home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions. Continue to quarantine until you travel to Vermont."

It is basically unenforceable, but if you try and actually follow VT's rules, you cannot have a child going to school, a job outside the house, and/or a spouse/partner/roommate who works outside of the house. You cannot shop for food or come in contact with the person in your house who does shop for food during the Quarantine period (or you must have food delivery). If you try and quarantine in your house, you better have a large house or a small family.

But, as I said, it is unenforceable.

Back