Coronavirus and Skiing

It’s only late oct
I’m sure this will change by the time january rolls around
Haha this reminds me of one of Jason's weather forecasts! ?

I’m hoping it will peak soon

Better get your turns in early. It wouldn't surprise me if ski areas get shut down again this year.
Yeah....especially if Europe is any indication.

Cervinia opened for the winter season on Saturday. Based on that result the Italian Govt by Sunday had shut it down and skiing in Italy is already shut down until Nov 24, at least.

Good friend of mine is a director for the NYS Health Dept. He's extremely cautious in what he says, but in reading in-between the lines during our conversations it ain't pretty.

More states being added to the naughty list. My daughter just left for Cali (which went back on yesterday) so there’s a 14 day quarantine in her future. So much for Tahoe this year. Colorado is on the naughty list, too. Nevada and New Mexico as well. And Utah. Wyoming. Hey, we still got Washington! Working from home I can afford a 14 day quarantine, but how many people’s jobs can do that?

Our high school just announced that tomorrow and Friday are moving to remote learning (as opposed to in person) because the first domi....er, student, just tested positive for the ‘rona and they need to complete contact tracing.

Everything seems to be moving in the wrong direction. Doesn’t make me all that optimistic for the ski season, glad I didn’t pull the trigger on Ikon.

However, Trump did just announce that we have defeated COVID, so we got that!

Last edited:
To get some sense of what states with ski resorts are doing in general, can take a look at this summary of mask usage rules. Seems to be updated on a regular basis and has links to government documents. Gives an overview for each state listed, but doesn't capture local rules. For example the county where Jackson is located, Teton County, has a mask mandate but WY does not in general. A friend lives in Jackson and is a long-time Level 3 instructor at JH. Hope to have a lesson with her in December.

From the VT site:

"Quarantine means staying at a home or dwelling before doing any activities outside of the home, like grocery shopping or getting together with friends or family. People in quarantine should separate themselves from others and check themselves for symptoms."

there is this:

"Quarantining Before Coming IS an Option
If you plan to travel to Vermont in a personal vehicle (including a rental vehicle or private plane), you may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative PCR test in your home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions. Continue to quarantine until you travel to Vermont."

It is basically unenforceable, but if you try and actually follow VT's rules, you cannot have a child going to school, a job outside the house, and/or a spouse/partner/roommate who works outside of the house. You cannot shop for food or come in contact with the person in your house who does shop for food during the Quarantine period (or you must have food delivery). If you try and quarantine in your house, you better have a large house or a small family.

But, as I said, it is unenforceable.

Again, the only way it is "enforceable" is at the hotel check in desk.

Gold, Jerry, gold, if you own a condo up there.

As far as nordic skiing goes. The only races in the northeast are for kids looking to qualify for Junior Nationals. Or SuperTour events for senior athletes. No citizens' races that I'm aware of and that's OK.

Back