Coronavirus and Skiing

Other factor hill for me is West - so hoping they get some cold temps. They deserve a break after everything they have invested - I think they will be very busy if they get the temps. I wish either they or McCauley were on Indy Pass. But I guess that’s why they’re not...

Am I right that the Vermont rules require you to stay in VT at least 14 days after quarantining and entering? I would consider quarantining at home in NYS for 7 days/testing and then doing 2-3 days skiing in VT, but if I have to stay 14 days that doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t seem I would have to quarantine again coming back into NYS from a contiguous state.
You can either quarantine in VT when you arrive or at your home residence for the 14 days (you do not need to quarantine in VT, unless something has changed). Either way, you cannot leave your location during the quarantine, not even to go to the store. You can also do a 7 day quarantine with a negative test at the end. But that is essentially pointless at this point because tests now take a week, so you have to do 14 days either way.

Going back home, that depends on your home state. Not sure about NYS. But if your home state also has a 14 day quarantine on returning residents, you would need to quarantine for 14 days to get to VT and then quarantine for 14 days when you get back home.

Which is pointless. The spread isn't happening from interstate travel. It is happening a the local/community level from people visiting each other's houses, going to restaurants, attending weddings, etc. What people do and where they do it are more important than where people are from.

This article makes me think I should take a cue from @Brownski. Kit out a pickup truck with a cap and a platform. Dad's old 2 burner Coleman stove stashed underneath.
Was just thinking about this. I’m going to have to adapt my platform to my Pilot, now that the truck I built it for has been recycled.

Was just thinking about this. I’m going to have to adapt my platform to my Pilot, now that the truck I built it for has been recycled.
I can sleep in the back of my Jetta Sportwagen, but when you get skis, wax boxes, food etc in there, it gets cramped.

Going back home, that depends on your home state. Not sure about NYS. But if your home state also has a 14 day quarantine on returning residents, you would need to quarantine for 14 days to get to VT and then quarantine for 14 days when you get back home.
Some states, like NY, are moving to travel restrictions based on testing. Meaning the self-quarantine period can be shorter by timing a COVID-19 test and testing negative. For NY, need two tests 3-5 days apart. That's the best way to avoid a False Negative because some who just got infected doesn't have quite enough SARS-CoV-2 in their system to be detected even by a good PCR test.

VT is putting up permanent signs on their border-cross highways about the travel restrictions. Say "COVID-19. QUARANTINE REQUIREMENTS. IN PLACE. HEALTHVERMONT.GOV" Meaning metal signs with COVID-19 on a red background and black lettering on white for the other text.

There are no signs of any kind related to travel restrictions when driving into NY or PA on I-81. Just got back to NC after helping a friend pick up her daughter from North Country School in Lake Placid. We followed the rules, filled out a NY Travel Form online, were in NY for less than 24 hours, and just drove thru PA in both directions.

No way am I driving north of VA to ski this season.

Last edited:
Which is pointless. The spread isn't happening from interstate travel. It is happening a the local/community level from people visiting each other's houses, going to restaurants, attending weddings, etc. What people do and where they do it are more important than where people are from.
Agree!

NM has travel restrictions and they are pointless. The people in neighboring states who follow them probably would never have infected anyone because they are careful enough to keep from getting COVID-19 in the first place. The people from Texas who didn't know and/or didn't care were driving back and forth across the board between NM and TX all the time. A friend who plays golf a lot saw plenty of TX plates and know people who were driving across the border for day trips, as they have done in the past. She's been paying plenty of attention because her husband is a research physician. He's been pressed into clinical work for COVID-19 patients. They've decided to cancel their Taos season passes because he can't go skiing with the required quarantine periods when he gets a break from being at the hospital. No kids or other family locally so they are just hunkering down with the dogs. They have a big enough house that they can their distance from each other as needed.

While the southeastern states south of Washington DC aren't doing the greatest, COVID-19 has never been out of control statewide as it has been in other regions. What has been done at the state, country, and/or city level since March was enough to "flatten the curve" and avoid the risk of overwhelming the healthcare system for weeks and weeks. No talk of travel restrictions and I hope it stays that way.

Back