Coronavirus and Skiing

True. But what's doing everything right?

I'd say that = doing what is asked of us. Wearing masks when you can't practice social distancing, regularly wash your hands, keep your circle small, and if you feel sick stay home. I think the last one is the hardest one. The guy I had contact with thought he was catching a cold, not uncommon to feel that way this time of year, right? I don't fault him, as I would think cold too, but it wasn't.

I'd say that = doing what is asked of us. Wearing masks when you can't practice social distancing, regularly wash your hands, keep your circle small, and if you feel sick stay home. I think the last one is the hardest one. The guy I had contact with thought he was catching a cold, not uncommon to feel that way this time of year, right? I don't fault him, as I would think cold too, but it wasn't.
Agreed. I'd add wearing a mask whenever indoors in a public space, regardless of how far away one might be from another and not eating while indoors in public places.

If the right thing is just doing what is asked, what are we arguing about. I also agree that the governor is obnoxious, and that over stepping authority just generates more resistance when cooperation is needed. I haven't seen my grandchildren is 8 months, and I'm just tired of people who think they have some "freedom" to ignore public health guidance.

What's really going on is a crisis of leadership, but you have a pandemic with the leadership you have, not the leadership you want.

mm

Last edited:
I've been thinking about how I can get up to NY to ski. I know that quarantine rules (at this moment) don't seem to apply between contiguous states, but that could change at any minute.

If (I can sell this at home and) I do quarantine from Dec 15 - Jan 1 and head to the mountains then, maybe I could swing it. It would mean no December skiing which obviously bites.

The logic(?) of that idea makes me wonder if a lot of people would try this and create demand beyond capacity.

I think everyone who is gonna move to the mountains did that last March. The limit at Gore will be parking, because the Albanians will be driving up alone. I'm thinking Gore will be quiet, and hoping there's enough business to justify running all the lifts and snowmaking.

mm

Am I right that the Vermont rules require you to stay in VT at least 14 days after quarantining and entering? I would consider quarantining at home in NYS for 7 days/testing and then doing 2-3 days skiing in VT, but if I have to stay 14 days that doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t seem I would have to quarantine again coming back into NYS from a contiguous state.

it will probably all have to tighten up by JAN anyway, but I’m just considering my options. Otherwise if I want to hit the road I will tour NYS and hit McCauley and Titus which I have always wanted to do. Maybe Greek or Snow Ridge too.

I cant see myself downhill skiing this year. Maybe on a week day here or there with my own chairlift compliant group at lesser known locations.

Not sure if there will be more or less people at the mountains.

Maybe later in the season if people are getting vaccinated I will feel differently. Hope for a great lat season!

Am I right that the Vermont rules require you to stay in VT at least 14 days after quarantining and entering? I would consider quarantining at home in NYS for 7 days/testing and then doing 2-3 days skiing in VT, but if I have to stay 14 days that doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t seem I would have to quarantine again coming back into NYS from a contiguous state.

it will probably all have to tighten up by JAN anyway, but I’m just considering my options. Otherwise if I want to hit the road I will tour NYS and hit McCauley and Titus which I have always wanted to do. Maybe Greek or Snow Ridge too.

I'm thinking yes to all of the above, if the rules don't change in VT and NY.

One thing I wonder is, will Vermont, especially SoVT stay open. If you get some kind of washout, will the guns come back out? Maybe a place like Mad will roll on with lots of natural, and little reliance or expectation of snowmaking. Eric Freidman's dream come true — day ticket crowds on a weekday — after his departure. Not really but you know what I mean.

I don't agree with Milo's "Gore will be quiet." If ORDA stays open I think they will be to capacity, whatever that is.

The one variable I don't think any of us know... how does the reduced capacity compare to the demand in NY. How many are definitely going ski and how many will opt out.

For those of us who are still in it. Having some kind of camper like MC will be key assuming it doesn't all come to a stop. I'm not sure I could actually sleep in my car, so I'm going to be putting on a lot of mileage if I can swing the days off. I've been working on a revamp of directory to make it a little easier to make decisions. Nothing will make the driving easier for me because I don't see carpooling as an option. Lucky y'all with wives and girlfriends who are as motivated as you are.

Plattekill pass is looking like a very good investment to me.

A small camper would be nice just to use as your mini lodge in the parking lot, booting up and taking breaks. Sleep in a real bed.

I always thought that an awd minivan would be the best ski vehicle just for that reason, but masculinity issues prevent most from going down that road.

Back