Coronavirus and Skiing

Give me the facts, I as an adult will disseminate them and act accordingly ...
And that's how we got to a situation where critical mass of people in whole counties and even some states are still calling the whole thing a hoax and refusing to take even small measures to stop the spread, and there are still giant weddings in Rockland county.
andrew undermines his own leadership ability by being heavy handed, but on this issue he is following science. Virus doesn't care about freedom, and ignoring science will only make everythng worse. Talking about "personal resposibility" only encourages the science deniers. I was taught the Spiritual Works of Mercy, one of which is "Instruct the ignorant." That is the correct response to those who think their actions don't affect others, which is a better answer than "it's your right to ignore facts during a public health crisis."

mm

Last edited:
And that's how we got to a situation where whole counties and even some states are stil calling the whole thing a hoax, and there are still giant weddings in Rockland county.
andrew undermines his own leadership ability by being heavy handed, but on this issue is following science. Virus doesn't care about freedom, and ignoring science will only make everythng worse.

mm
Who is ignoring science? Those people that are; you think telling them what to do is going to do anything but create a shit storm? The virus is here. They were saying we could have 250k in deaths in March. People went crazy so they lowered the projection. We know what this is going to do. You can't expect anyone to keep you safe, that's how you stay safe. I know I could go just about anywhere and come out virus free. Its just how much do I want to prepare to go there and is it worth it to me.

I think most people will do the right thing. Give them the truth and they’re able to make decisions. 10 people is an arbitrary number. If we’re talking grandma & grandpa + their 3 daughters who live locally and see them twice a week + spouses and an average of 3 kids each, you’re way over the number but can you really tell me that they’re being reckless? Conversely an elderly couple with 4 single 20 something year old kids who all live in different cities and have been careless about going to bars and traveling should probably not converge without getting tested and dialing things back for a week or two beforehand.

I think most people will do the right thing. Give them the truth and they’re able to make decisions. 10 people is an arbitrary number. If we’re talking grandma & grandpa + their 3 daughters who live locally and see them twice a week + spouses and an average of 3 kids each, you’re way over the number but can you really tell me that they’re being reckless? Conversely an elderly couple with 4 single 20 something year old kids who all live in different cities and have been careless about going to bars and traveling should probably not converge without getting tested and dialing things back for a week or two beforehand.

Geezum, don't bring common sense into this

The issue really is that it takes a village. Unfortunately, with Covid, you can do everything "right", yet still get it. I mean you can get it on a quick run to the market while wearing a mask.

The issue really is that it takes a village. Unfortunately, with Covid, you can do everything "right", yet still get it. I mean you can get it on a quick run to the market while wearing a mask.
True. But what's doing everything right?

Geezum, don't bring common sense into this
Yeah, not to mention that everyone is going to have their own idea about what is “right”, based on the information available to them.

Given that I’m sure some will feel strongly about their opinion of “right”.....am I the only one who sees this thread either getting very quiet or very ugly once the snow flies and the opportunity for turns presents itself?

My bet is on quiet, for the most part. As has been said in a number of threads and other sites, don’t talk about what you do (no discussion of trips, pics of turns) over social media. Of course someone will share something at some point, and someone with a strong opinion that doing any skiing/travel is not the “right” thing to do will tell them that they are the problem and are creating the public health hazard.....so there is bound to be an ugly exchange or three.

Last edited:
I’m planning to ski as many new NY hills as I can and writing it up for the blog. I can try to get Harv to publish it with no pics if you guys think that will help

I’m planning to ski as many new NY hills as I can and writing it up for the blog. I can try to get Harv to publish it with no pics if you guys think that will help

Pics make it

If peeps have a hard time with it, hit em with your hammer

Back