Coronavirus and Skiing

So are you calling those groups that want their own gondola hypochondriacs?
I was referring to those who try to block singles on chairlifts as hypochondriacs. I didn't mention the gondola there. Because Loon's gondola is only 4 person, they can get away with allowing groups to get their own cabin and not hurt the capacity too much. With an 8 person gondola, you can't allow this, or you'll end up with the lift running at half capacity.

In any case, maybe hypochondriac wasn't the right word, but I believe many are vastly overestimating their risk, or unwilling to accept the inevitable that they will be exposed to covid and probably infected with it at some point, whether as a confirmed case or not. For as long as that is true, you're going to have dumb rules that are supposed to make these people feel safer, but probably don't reduce risk of contracting covid at all. You're also going to have testy moments between those who are still very cautious, and those who have already moved on. At Killington on Friday, I had just gotten on the bubble chair, and had someone get angry at me for lowering the bubble on a cold snowy morning and demanded that I put it back up. Others have posted similar stories.

Last edited:
Learned today that ski patrol at Massanutten are not allowed to ride with a guest. Not even at the opposite ends of a quad. Masking is only required indoors.

Last season ski instructors could ride at the opposite side of a quad. Couldn't ride with a student on the triple. Masking was required outdoors then. Not sure what the rules are this season.

At Killington, the Needles Eye section has a gondola and high speed quad that serve the same terrain. Friday-Sunday they run both, but Monday-Thursday their default is usually to run the gondola. They don't have the business levels midweek to justify running both, but when picking one, they can't seem to make everyone happy. If they run the gondola, then they get complaints from people who aren't comfortable riding a gondola. If they run the quad, they get complaints that the gondola wasn't open, particularly on cold days like today. Today they ran the gondola, and on a locals facebook group I'm in, there are a rash of comments complaining and saying they should've run the chair. The question is which group is larger? Is it those who aren't comfortable riding gondolas, or those who will complain if the gondola is not open?

I was at Stratton on Saturday, and I noticed that there weren't as many tables in the lodge Sun Bowl lodge as there were before, presumably for covid reasons. I really don't understand the logic in this. Those who are afraid of being in lodges are going to avoid them no matter what. The rest of us would like a place to sit. I normally have lunch at 11, which isn't the busiest time, and I literally couldn't find a spot inside, and ended up eating outside, despite it being 16 degrees.

I was at Stratton on Saturday, and I noticed that there weren't as many tables in the lodge Sun Bowl lodge as there were before, presumably for covid reasons. I really don't understand the logic in this. Those who are afraid of being in lodges are going to avoid them no matter what. The rest of us would like a place to sit. I normally have lunch at 11, which isn't the busiest time, and I literally couldn't find a spot inside, and ended up eating outside, despite it being 16 degrees.
Or perhaps they wanted to make the majority of their customers feel more comfortable by spreading them out a bit more than normal. From what you said it might not be what you normally do, but perhaps you could have eaten in a different lodge or at a different time. Don't they have like three different lodges on the mountain?

Last edited:
Learned today that ski patrol at Massanutten are not allowed to ride with a guest. Not even at the opposite ends of a quad.
Marz, any idea what the % chance of getting it while at opposite ends of a quad, even if stopped? I have to think it's low fractions of 1%.....

Back