Coronavirus and Skiing

If we're still locking down 100% vaccinated college campuses like prisons, one must take a step back and ask what are we trying to accomplish? I don't believe anyone in charge could give you a clear answer. That's the problem with this whole thing. My opinion is that nothing is going to stop cases, but hospitalizations and deaths can be greatly reduced through high vaccination rates. I know it's hard in certain political climates, but elected officials, college presidents, etc need to realize that trying to stop transmission is not practical or sustainable and move on. An example of doing this the right way is Vermont. While they're repeatedly smashing case records, their hospitalizations and deaths per 100k are significantly lower than most states, and the governor is resisting calls to declare a state of emergency and bring back restrictions like mask wearing and capacity limits, even though cases are higher than when those restrictions were in effect. The rationale is that anyone who wants to be vaccinated is already, and it's unfair to punish those who are to protect those who aren't.

At Wolf Creek, business is pretty similar to pre-pandemic. Except staffing issues mean that ski school has about 2/3 the number of instructors and Raven's Nest Lodge on the mountain is unlikely to open this season.

Masks are recommended indoors. There are a few people masking, but not many. The main cafeteria has serious plexiglass "walls" between the people in line and the employees. There is a microphone like you see for a drive-thru for ordering.

Apparently the prices for food is noticeably higher than pre-pandemic. Still pretty reasonable in comparison to a ski resort though. Food is quite good and lots of variety.

Fresh snow that started early this morning made for a very fun day. Especially after a few days exploring under blue skies so that we had a pretty good idea of where to go.

Well, this just sucks. Cornell has had 906 cases in the past week, primarily undergrads.As far as I know, they are the only ones required to test. I have walked by grad student offices and seen them hanging out with no masks.

Cornell is seeing the OhMiGawd variant among its students. I guess we still have a way to go. The fact that "a very high percentage" are omicron is news to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/14/us/cornell-university-covid-cases/index.html
Saw this on the news. Stay safe WP.
We are back to mask's here in NY. I hate them but I'll wear one, again. It's frustrating at work. Some customers aren't wearing them which could lead to fines for the Boss. He pulled me aside to tell me not to say anything to them about it....lol

Be well WP, stay safe

Frankly that situation at CU is no surprise at all, Two weeks after returning from Thanksgiving break. Here in rural NNY cases are ramping up , hospitals are surging . With a vax rate of 56 per cent in our county it is no wonder the vast majority > 80 % taking bed space are vaccine hesitant . Staff is getting fried .

Last edited:
I bet if there was an oral vaccine there would be more people vaccinated.
I wonder about this as well. I agree with you, but there's still those that will refuse because they're being "told" to get vaxed. Current mandates aren't working, imo, I feel they have a reverse effect making those against it dig in deeper. The one mandate that would work, imo, is to have all hospitals put those who are vaxed in front of the line for care, and those who aren't in the back of the line. It's time to seriously take care of those who are willing to help themselves and those around them vs those who are being selfish.

Back