Carrols Hamburgers

like most nostalgia I think our memories of a lot of things are better than they actually were!
I'm still thinking about this comment and certainly agree with it in many instances. Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

That said; I've lost count of the times where a "nostalgia-ski" operation met or exceeded expectations. I mean areas that had no business being open and no way for them to be fiscally sustainable -- just to provide a few examples: Mont Glen, Mont Shefford, Hickory, Pajarito, and Bobcat. Even if you put aside the time-machine aspect (which, I admit, is always fascinating), I'd argue that these were legitimately good/great ski experiences and not just nostalgia exercises.

you hit the nail on the head with experiences, I don't remember the Carrols burger at all but I do remember spending time with family, in our house it was usually a special occasion to go to a drive-in or restaurant back then. That, and there never seemed to be enough fries!

there never seemed to be enough fries!
What I clearly recall was that Carrols' hamburgers always had a small patty that didn't cover the bun, so you were eating a lot of bread. They only cost 15 cents (and in later years 25 cents) so no biggie. The Club Burgers, however, had patties that reached the edge of the bun -- part of the "for very hungry people" branding, I guess.

you hit the nail on the head with experiences, I don't remember the Carrols burger at all but I do remember spending time with family, in our house it was usually a special occasion to go to a drive-in or restaurant back then. That, and there never seemed to be enough fries!
Same same same
As a kid growing up I had a blast. My best memory of Carrols has zero to do with the restaurant. Where Carrols was is the first place my dad let me wheel his car while standing in between his legs.

Same same same
As a kid growing up I had a blast. My best memory of Carrols has zero to do with the restaurant. Where Carrols was is the first place my dad let me wheel his car while standing in between his legs.
Slight tangent here. We were at a state park one year. I had my son on my lap, doing the same thing. We got pulled over by someone in a golf cart, who asked "Do you know how illegal that is?" Um, no. My dad did the same thing with my brother and me. Nobody ever told any of us that it was illegal. :p We still joke about it.

Back to the thread. I had the Tweety Bird and Bugs Bunny glasses.

"Hamburgers, the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast."
Funny, a nice bit of discontinuity in that scene -- when Samuel Jackson picks up the Big Kahuna burger, it's untouched; however, when they cut to him taking a small bite of it, the burger is half eaten. Shows you how many takes they must've done instead of replacing it with a new burger each time.

Funny, a nice bit of discontinuity in that scene -- when Samuel Jackson picks up the Big Kahuna burger, it's untouched; however, when they cut to him taking a small bite of it, the burger is half eaten. Shows you how many takes they must've done instead of replacing it with a new burger each time.
Yup.
“Why do we feel it’s necessary to yack about bullshit in order to be comfortable?"

Gen X ‘68 here…….and I ain’t never heard of Carrol’s burgers. I’d have been what, 3 or 4 when Carrol’s went away?

Gen X ‘68 here…….and I ain’t never heard of Carrol’s burgers. I’d have been what, 3 or 4 when Carrol’s went away?
You would've been six or so when they started closing and/or being converted to Burger Kings. My younger brother is Gen X '68 and he likewise has little memory of Carrols even though one of the original versions was 2.5 miles away from our house.

Back