Building a House with Wood

This is really a house discussion, so I moved it.

If we go with hardwood we are thinking Maple. It's lighter and somehow more 'local' than Oak.

Except for one complication. Our builder likes using tongue and groove for the ceiling (vs sheetrock). He says that with a two story ceiling you are going to get some movement (with wind etc) and sheet rock will inevitably crack. He likes the T/G because it can move a little and not show cracks. The logical thing for the T/G ceiling would probably be pine, but it would be a disconnect with floors and cabinets, if they are Maple. Can I get T/G maple? Does that make sense for a ceiling?

With so much ceiling, and not much wall for sheetrock (much of the walls are windows) it will be a dark interior if we go with Pine or Oak.

Here is the hardness scale:

View attachment 22690
Janka Hardness Scale courtesy Superior Flooring

When we started this, I really had no concept about how many color/design decisions there would be. They are the hardest.

What will he be using underneath the wood? You need something to prevent air leakage.
I have issues with movement in my loft/ knee wall area that’s impossible to keep finished from summer to winter, tape joints. T&G would have been a good choice. My Kitchen cabinets are natural maple, I still like the look but after 20 plus years they have yellowed. Also I have family pictures that have faded somewhat. My windows are Andersen high performance and were not cheap at the time, I’m sure UV coatings are much better now but the color you pick now may change over time. Maybe a light stain?

Will stain help prevent yellowing?
I think it will to a degree but you can lighten it up further . I have a lot of windows as well and about a year ago replaced my flooring with a darker floor but it didn’t seem to make much difference with a light colored paint on the ceiling.

I think it will to a degree but you can lighten it up further . I have a lot of windows as well and about a year ago replaced my flooring with a darker floor but it didn’t seem to make much difference with a light colored paint on the ceiling.
I don't understand this. How to lighten it further?

We just had a new HVAC system installed this summer. It’s a Bosch heat pump with an auxiliary propane furnace. The heat pump works great when the outside temp is above 30 degrees or so. When the temp gets below that it takes longer to heat the house and eventually the propane furnace kicks in and makes up the difference. This past week, it’s been almost exclusively using the propane. Today the heat pump was going again. The heat pump and the propane don’t ever work at the same time - if the heat pump can’t bring the house up to the desired temp, it shuts off and the propane kicks in. I’m curious what Camp’s system uses for a backup.
I keep hearing about heat pumps that go really low. Like 10 degrees or lower. Is that real?

Thanks both!

Putting on a 10× 15 combo bathroom laundry room addition on the first floor.

This new addition will extend the existing powder room adjacent to the kitchen

Will have custom designed built in walk in shower with double faucets, bench and grab bars .Marble look wall tiles and contrasting tile floors, new vanity commode sink ,toilet and several wall store units,washer and dryer etc.

At 80 ,We're planning ahead in case we need to eventually move our master bedroom downstairs .
there are 2 easy options for that with little to no cost: Existing DR or our Sunroom .

We plan to leave the 4 upstairs bedrooms and former master bath in tact and also leave our existing washer and dryer in the basement as a backup

Have a great contractor has done several friends places and he's done work at our Medical Center so very familiar with his work.

Can't start to pour pad and do other fun work till it stays above 40F at night

Been busy this week picking out fixtures,appliances and wall and floor finishes this week have a layout will sign contract Monday

Last edited:
Putting on a 10× 15 combo bathroom laundry room addition on the first floor.

This new addition will extend the existing powder room adjacent to the kitchen

Will have custom designed built in walk in shower with double faucets, bench and grab bars .Marble look wall tiles and contrasting tile floors, new vanity commode sink ,toilet and several wall store units,washer and dryer etc.

At 80 ,We're planning ahead in case we need to eventually move our master bedroom downstairs .
there are 2 easy options for that with little to no cost: Existing DR or our Sunroom .

We plan to leave the 4 upstairs bedrooms and former master bath in tact and also leave our existing washer and dryer in the basement as a backup

Have a great contractor has done several friends places and he's done work at our Medical Center so very familiar with his work.

Can't start to pour pad and do other fun work till it stays above 40F at night

Been busy this week picking out fixtures,appliances and wall and floor finishes this week have a layout will sign contract Monday

I’ve seen one in person and was very impressed. They take up little space and don’t require a whole bunch of structural changes.

I’ve seen one in person and was very impressed. They take up little space and don’t require a whole bunch of structural changes.
Interesting concept to be certain. Estimated prices between 26 to 30k for a Stltz
Depending on model.

I had looked at an Elevator.

UNFORTUNATELY would require significant alterations to both upstairs and downstairs access / egress And we would end up losing Two closets.

Our contractors estimate is 35 k and we know that he brings it in within the original estimates from other friends feedback. The only variable is how enriched ones choice of appliances and appurtanances , fixtures are

Our choices on that score are not outragesly priced based on actual prices we obtained this week

we also feel the addition adds value to any resale by our family after we are gone

Back