Building a House with Wood

So a Sage once uttered the most powerful sentence in the English language when dealing with spouses on damn near anything is:

"hell of an idea dear, wish I thought of it myself"

Just sayin'. Saves a lot of frustration later on 😁😁😁😁😁

So a Sage once uttered the most powerful sentence in the English language when dealing with spouses on damn near anything is:

"hell of an idea dear, wish I thought of it myself"

Just sayin'. Saves a lot of frustration later on 😁😁😁😁😁
Ya get extra points ...If ya can get yer non verbal ideas subliminally transferred to their noggin.
A lot of women are very good at it.
It’s a form of some kind of art.

Ya get extra points ...If ya can get yer non verbal ideas subliminally transferred to their noggin.
A lot of women are very good at it.
It’s a form of some kind of art.
I have found that after a number of yrs in a great relationship it's uncanny how much ya think alike and subliminally " know" what your partner is thinking without uttering a word

The garage door is an issue. White will go with anything, but that's a pantload of white up front. If it is the only white showing anywhere (and it probably will be) it will be the visual highlight. Do I want the garage door to be the focal point?

If I go with a garage door that is off-white, that's fine but it adds a fourth color:

Siding
Trim
Roof
Garage Door

The roof, we want middle-grey, (or middle brown) half way between black and white, for looks and heat.
We want the siding to contrast with the roof but not be too light.
We want the trim to be lighter than the siding, so like a blue grey (or grey) and off white combo
We don't know WTF to do with the garage door.
You might want to pick the roof color first as that has the least amount of selection. Then base the other colors relative to the roof and, if you don't like, start over again.
I suggest a gray over a brown. Gray is a hue and not a color. I couldn't tell you the definitions of each, but I think it means gray matches more easily. I also suggest leaving the garage door as the lowest priority as it's the easiest to change.
If I'm not mistaken, sharp contrasts and darker colors make things more of a focal point.
Have you used the color wheel to determine the contrast between the roof and the trim? That is, not picking out something completely on the other side of the color wheel where the contrast is greatest, but something maybe 120-150 degrees away. Three color paint chips are set up so that the colors work together (using the same tones maybe?).
Do you have a Photoshop guru or UX expert at work who you can talk with about colors? I think the "problem" usually is the understanding of color. Which ones to pick is usually the symptom.
As you get to some finalists (colors), you should probably paint a couple of boards - trim and siding - with those colors and tack them to the house to see what you think.
We didn't go with the off the shelf siding colors. I think the boards were painted prior to installation. Five years in and it still looks good.

You might want to pick the roof color first as that has the least amount of selection. Then base the other colors relative to the roof and, if you don't like, start over again.
I suggest a gray over a brown. Gray is a hue and not a color. I couldn't tell you the definitions of each, but I think it means gray matches more easily. I also suggest leaving the garage door as the lowest priority as it's the easiest to change.
If I'm not mistaken, sharp contrasts and darker colors make things more of a focal point.
Have you used the color wheel to determine the contrast between the roof and the trim? That is, not picking out something completely on the other side of the color wheel where the contrast is greatest, but something maybe 120-150 degrees away. Three color paint chips are set up so that the colors work together (using the same tones maybe?).
Do you have a Photoshop guru or UX expert at work who you can talk with about colors? I think the "problem" usually is the understanding of color. Which ones to pick is usually the symptom.
As you get to some finalists (colors), you should probably paint a couple of boards - trim and siding - with those colors and tack them to the house to see what you think.
We didn't go with the off the shelf siding colors. I think the boards were painted prior to installation. Five years in and it still looks good.
So many hidden talents!

IMHO the garage door should NOT be the focal point. So not white. There are too many fugly houses out there where the first thing you notice is the garage door. Maybe the same colour as your entry door?

Back