Building a House with Wood

.Have you used the color wheel to determine the contrast between the roof and the trim?
Looks like Gore’s new front page got part of a color wheel in it’s pic.
1703314107544.png

IMHO the garage door should NOT be the focal point. So not white. There are too many fugly houses out there where the first thing you notice is the garage door. Maybe the same colour as your entry door?
I agree with this line of thinking. The focal point, imo, is always on the house. Heck, I don't even have a garage. My shit sits outside! Well, my truck does. All my toys/equipment is stored inside a heated shop. Priorities damnit!

Maybe the same colour as your entry door?
I like this idea. Although entry doors can often be intense colors because they are relatively small elements.

There are too many fugly houses out there where the first thing you notice is the garage door.

Yes, agree. This often happens in dense developments where lot size is small. You can't put garage doors on the side because there is no room to make a turn to get in, so they face it front.

In this case the garage is separate and the doors have to face front, to get inside.

In other news we have to pick a roof color now. Trusses are going on this week.

In other news we have to pick a roof color now. Trusses are going on this week.

Trusses didn't happen. It rained most of the week and yesterday it was too muddy on site, to bring in the lift for the trusses.

In other news, AA texted and said it was time to order windows for the garage (5-6 week for delivery). Windows are really the only element where colors affect both the inside and outside. It was now or never, we had to make a choice.

We are going with Andersen 400s. Not the top rated by consumer reports, but favored by our builder. We drove down to a local lumberyard that sells them and looked at the colors. I was clueless on how to get some pro advice. The lumberyard guy said "find an interior designer."

Then I randomly googled "interior designer near me" and found Karin E Design and called the number. Karin answered and agreed to meet with us the next day at 10am for two hours, for an hourly fee. This was awesome as I think most of these people make money by marking up the stuff you buy.

What we ended up with is not classic DAK, but pretty low key.

The circle at the bottom is the garage door. The circle at the top is the roof. The two squares are siding (grey) and fascia/trim (off white).

Window exteriors are the first color in the strip (above the Terratone). Window interiors will be natural wood.

Resized_20231228_105922_1703780919565_1703945917980.jpeg

I have no idea how it will look, but both my wife and Karin (those are her fingers) assured me it will be good. That's all I really wanted was someone who knew what they were doing to express some certainty.

That’s the good stuff right there. Perfectly fine to walk on and can get wet too (unlike regular OSB). If it’s just storage area up there, you can leave it as is or put a couple coats of floor paint on it. Vinyl plank flooring would look good too.

Thanks so much for all Joneski.

What do you think of Pergo? Also I like the idea of floating, if you ever want to replace it. Thoughts?

Thanks so much for all Joneski.

What do you think of Pergo? Also I like the idea of floating, if you ever want to replace it. Thoughts?

Just my personal preference, I like nailed down prefinished hardwoods. I’ve never installed Pergo before, so I’m not sure of the quality of that one.

Why do you like them? What brand do you like?
Mainly I just like the feel and look of them, plus they can be sanded down and re finished. I don’t have a favorite brand - I’ve installed several different ones and none have really stood out as better than another. I think what’s more important is the wood species. You can google wood flooring hardness and there’s a scale from the softest to the hardest.

This is really a house discussion, so I moved it.

If we go with hardwood we are thinking Maple. It's lighter and somehow more 'local' than Oak.

Except for one complication. Our builder likes using tongue and groove for the ceiling (vs sheetrock). He says that with a two story ceiling you are going to get some movement (with wind etc) and sheet rock will inevitably crack. He likes the T/G because it can move a little and not show cracks. The logical thing for the T/G ceiling would probably be pine, but it would be a disconnect with floors and cabinets, if they are Maple. Can I get T/G maple? Does that make sense for a ceiling?

With so much ceiling, and not much wall for sheetrock (much of the walls are windows) it will be a dark interior if we go with Pine or Oak.

Here is the hardness scale:

wood hardness scale

Janka Hardness Scale courtesy Superior Flooring

When we started this, I really had no concept about how many color/design decisions there would be. They are the hardest.

Back