Big Tupper Thread

Sorry about that folks. Really didn’t know.
The NY Ski Blog is much better than FB IMO.
No emoji’s though... but no problemo.
I was gonna ask @Peter Minde if there was more snow in the woods at Tupper than Mt. Ho.

I just commented on Front Page “Blog”.
Thanks. Now I know.
@tirolski When I skied at Tupper, definitely more snow in the woods there than at van Ho. Now with the thaw and cursed rain, who knows.

@tirolski When I skied at Tupper, definitely more snow in the woods there than at van Ho. Now with the thaw and cursed rain, who knows.
Still coverage on trails but after the rain and warm weather it is pretty much what you'd expect, hard as a rock and not much fun. The woods still have good coverage but pretty much good for nothing, just breakable crust. If we could just get 2 or 3 inches on the xc trails it would at least make them somewhat skiable. Fingers crossed.
I guess they would be good now for fat bikes with studded tires.

Still coverage on trails but after the rain and warm weather it is pretty much what you'd expect, hard as a rock and not much fun. The woods still have good coverage but pretty much good for nothing, just breakable crust. If we could just get 2 or 3 inches on the xc trails it would at least make them somewhat skiable. Fingers crossed.

FWIW, I heard reports that Paul Smiths VIC is still in decent shape. A pox on these thaw events.

Do folks grind up the XC trail’s snow like the piston bully's do for alpine?
Alpine skiers can beat the snot out of it after a day or 2.

Do folks grind up the XC trail’s snow like the piston bully's do for alpine?
Alpine skiers can beat the snot out of it after a day or 2.
Many nordic centers run Pisten Bullys. Van Ho has 3 of them. Sometimes when it's low snow cover, you're better off grooming with a snowmobile. And some places run only snowmobiles either due to narrower trails or budget constraints. I just saw a used PB 100 for sale with an asking price of $108,000. A new PB 400 runs $450,000.

Many nordic centers run Pisten Bullys. Van Ho has 3 of them. Sometimes when it's low snow cover, you're better off grooming with a snowmobile. And some places run only snowmobiles either due to narrower trails or budget constraints. I just saw a used PB 100 for sale with an asking price of $108,000. A new PB 400 runs $450,000.
FYI Garnet Hill has over 40K open, PB groomed and another 10K BC conditions that had been PB groomed before the warm up and with the cold weather this week may be done by this weekend.

Latest developments.
More latest un-developments...

I had to read that dang article 3 times in order to get it. Curiouser and curiouser. What I couldn't do in Tupper if I had a spare $5 million lying around.

EDIT: Meanwhile, housing for people who *live* in the Tri-Lakes is in short supply. Yesterday I heard about a Tupper Lake apartment renting for $2400.00. Saranac Lake FB group has some people seeking new housing as their current lease is almost up. Outta control.

Last edited:
More latest un-developments...
And the ACR cluster continues along. So the rich guy ends up with the majority of the land but not what the so called developers labeled "the centerpiece of the project", the ski area.
Assuming of course that once the property goes to the official tax sale at the county courthouse, no one out bids the rich guy foreclosing on the mortgage at just over $5M.

Back