Big Tupper Thread

A picture on FB todày from "50 years ago".

1000003507.jpg

A picture on FB todày from "50 years ago".
Dang.
50 years ago was almost about when we went there on Thursdays senior year“Spring” semester. There wasn’t a whole lotta spring to it. But the skiing was great.

Last edited:

Oh man does that picture bring back memories.

The first time I ever tried skiing downhill was in 1966 was 22 and in my first year of employment at the college.

Our ski club went up to Tupper at night we were using 7 ft 4 in army surplus wooden skis with cable bindings on them and the most uncomfortable square toed leather ski boots I ever wore.

My buddy's convinced me😵‍💫 that because I was a good athlete, was coaching hoops at the college and had been a pretty fair water skier that this would be a piece of cake for me😁

Yeah well I believed that b*******and went right to the top first thing.

I fell all the way down that damn hill

And the worst part of it was when some little 8 to 10-year-old ski whiz came zipping up to me and said "hey mister can I help you and I wanted to kill the little peckerwood😁😁😁😁.

That was it for me. I returned to cross country and didn't go back to downhill until I was 50 years of age.

Those damn skis were as tall as Wilt Chamberlain as heavy as a damn redwood and as maneuverable as a dead seal.😜

But later on I came to really love Tupper and skied it at least once a week until it closed down

great Hill miss it

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t you put that comment on the front page? Writing those up takes a lot of time. Comments are the only validation we get that somebody read the thing and enjoyed it

Why wouldn’t you put that comment on the front page? Writing those up takes a lot of time. Comments are the only validation we get that somebody read the thing and enjoyed it

Right or wrong, comments are the currency we are paid for doing the front page.

It's the same with Facebook. Sure FB is easy, but after a few days FB kind of disappears. The blog content is easy to find.

In my mind the forum is fun, but I wouldn't do it (and pay for hosting) without the front page.

I don't expect members of the community to instinctively know this, which is why Broski and I point it out.

Love that Tupper shot.

Right or wrong, comments are the currency we are paid for doing the front page.

It's the same with Facebook. Sure FB is easy, but after a few days FB kind of disappears. The blog content is easy to find.

In my mind the forum is fun, but I wouldn't do it (and pay for hosting) without the front page.

I don't expect members of the community to instinctively know this, which is why Broski and I point it out.
Sorry about that folks. Really didn’t know.
The NY Ski Blog is much better than FB IMO.
No emoji’s though... but no problemo.
I was gonna ask @Peter Minde if there was more snow in the woods at Tupper than Mt. Ho.

I just commented on Front Page “Blog”.
Thanks. Now I know.

Oh man does that picture bring back memories.

The first time I ever tried skiing downhill was in 1966 was 22 and in my first year of employment at the college.

Our ski club went up to Tupper at night we were using 7 ft 4 in army surplus wooden skis with cable bindings on them and the most uncomfortable square toed leather ski boots I ever wore.

My buddy's convinced me😵‍💫 that because I was a good athlete, was coaching hoops at the college and had been a pretty fair water skier that this would be a piece of cake for me😁

Yeah well I believed that b*******and went right to the top first thing.

I fell all the way down that damn hill

And the worst part of it was when some little 8 to 10-year-old ski whiz came zipping up to me and said "hey mister can I help you and I wanted to kill the little peckerwood😁😁😁😁.

That was it for me. I returned to cross country and didn't go back to downhill until I was 50 years of age.

Those damn skis were as tall as Wilt Chamberlain as heavy as a damn redwood and as maneuverable as a dead seal.😜

But later on I came to really love Tupper and skied it at least once a week until it closed down

great Hill miss it
@Warp daddy I totally feel you. My first skiing experience was alpine, and it was the same. Fell all the way down a
PA black diamond.

Back