Big Tupper Thread

Yes and yes
Depends on how well cared for the lifts are of course but it’s very common.
Yup.
The Diamondcutter triple at Song was repurposed from another area .
It replaced the previous T-bar.

I wonder who bought all of Gore’s old gondola cabins?
1724240146256.png

Looks like the “old ones” may be gone soon.

Last edited:
Yes and yes

I'm thinking about how hard it might be to move this stuff from one place to another. E.g., it's 51 miles from Whiteface to Big Tupper. How many truckloads would it take if ORDA wished gave them a lift for dirt cheap.

I'm in the camp that thinks the town and village shouldn't be involved in Big Tupper.

Last edited:
How about starting with a rope tow and proceeding from there?
How about a t bar? I really didn’t like what rope tows did to my gloves.

It certainly seems like a surface lift would be easier to maintain, need less staffing to run and probably less to insure.

A t bar and a brewery with good food just might make enough $. Maybe put a few cozy yurts up and some e-bike trails for the summer. Maybe even some van life camp spots. Keep it simple.

How about a t bar? I really didn’t like what rope tows did to my gloves.

It certainly seems like a surface lift would be easier to maintain, need less staffing to run and probably less to insure.
Oh sure, but, I'm being a little sarcastic and referring back to the time when most areas started with a rope tow.

Saddleback would be a good model to follow, but no way the town would be allowed to manage in any way.

It seems like there is more resale for old fixed grips. Like they'd have more value after several decades. Is that true or am I sheltered?

@Peter

How about starting with a rope tow and proceeding from there?
The problems are low snow totals, and relative distance from populations.

Gore, Whiteface, Titus, Woods Valley and McCauley surround it, all of them get more snow and have a working infrastructure.

Whatever it is, it will have to be local.

So yea, rope tows. I'd ski there.

Without snowmaking BT cannot realistically open more than a few days per year.

Maybe Stanley Hutton Rumbough’s Crossroads ADK LLC or SHR Ventures LLC will figure it all out. Maybe not.

Rumbough's parents were Dina Merrill (actress, only child of Post Cereal heiress Marjorie Merriwether Post and Edward Francis Hutton, the founder of EF Hutton & Co ) and Stanley M Rumbough, Jr (Colgate-Palmolive heir). Rumbough is clearly well financed. Marjorie Merriwether Post had Mar-a-Lago built in the 1920s.

Rumbough, 78, bought the mortgage on the 5800 acres that comprised the Adirondack Club and Resort (ACR). Big Tupper was the bait in the ACR project. He has been purchasing land in and around Tupper Lake.

"Rumbough has been interested in find ways to accomplish some of the club and resort project that had been billed as a $500 million development on 6,400 acres for up to 700 condos, vacation homes and luxury great camps, plus a 60-bedroom hotel and a revitalized Big Tupper, a golf course and a marina.
Rumbough’s representatives have said in the past that he is interested in acquiring much of the acreage of the proposed project site, but not Big Tupper."

Even Stanley Hutton Rumbough seems to be avoiding the Big Tupper money pit.

Without snowmaking BT cannot realistically open more than a few days per year.

Maybe Stanley Hutton Rumbough’s Crossroads ADK LLC or SHR Ventures LLC will figure it all out. Maybe not.

Rumbough's parents were Dina Merrill (actress, only child of Post Cereal heiress Marjorie Merriwether Post and Edward Francis Hutton, the founder of EF Hutton & Co ) and Stanley M Rumbough, Jr (Colgate-Palmolive heir). Rumbough is clearly well financed. Marjorie Merriwether Post had Mar-a-Lago built in the 1920s.

Rumbough, 78, bought the mortgage on the 5800 acres that comprised the Adirondack Club and Resort (ACR). Big Tupper was the bait in the ACR project. He has been purchasing land in and around Tupper Lake.

"Rumbough has been interested in find ways to accomplish some of the club and resort project that had been billed as a $500 million development on 6,400 acres for up to 700 condos, vacation homes and luxury great camps, plus a 60-bedroom hotel and a revitalized Big Tupper, a golf course and a marina.
Rumbough’s representatives have said in the past that he is interested in acquiring much of the acreage of the proposed project site, but not Big Tupper."

Even Stanley Hutton Rumbough seems to be avoiding the Big Tupper money pit.

"Rumbough's parents were Dina Merrill (actress, only child of Post Cereal heiress Marjorie Merriwether Post and Edward Francis Hutton, the founder of EF Hutton & Co ) and Stanley M Rumbough, Jr (Colgate-Palmolive heir). Rumbough is clearly well financed."

Fine, it may be a solution to survival, but, really, do you think this fellow wants to mingle with the plebes? Look at that history. He hasn't had to work a day in his life. Maybe he did, but, he didn't have to unless the trust made him to make bank. I'll bet a plebe's hundred bucks he has Yellowstone/Windham/Previous Tupper Robber Barons/ and the guy who just bought Powder Mountain dreams in his head of exclusivity, or, a private club in mind, and will just use the locals as cheap labor. Maybe even import recent immigrants for labor and house them in dorms. Which is cool, I guess, although I doubt it will profit, but maybe these people are so rich they don't care about profit. Their profit is figuring out both tax breaks and state and federal "incentives" to pay for their lives, and they have that s*** really figured out.

Whatever. Better than nothing. They're never around, anyway. Always moving around the world to a new playground. A few of them just sunk to the bottom in the waters off Sicily.

Back