Belleayre Conditions

Conditions were really good but the only problem was the Goat Path trail. Too many people on it that don't belong there. Dodging people(and small children)snow plowing down the trail or standing in the middle around the turns.
I really had to take some extreme measures a few times to keep from wiping some people out.
Main problem I think is that the trail is different from anything else at Belleayre and narrow.
I watched two patrollers install it Friday morning. I’m sure it’s to slow down some unfortunate soul who flies over the wood fence after hitting the jump the groomers have unwittingly created.
How's the Tappanski bridge?

Was there last Friday before the holiday weekend. It was windy and the gondola was on wind hold until around 3 which was great because the west side of the mountain was empty. Lodge was full all day I think alot of people were waiting or just said screw it. Conditions were really good but the only problem was the Goat Path trail. Too many people on it that don't belong there. Dodging people(and small children)snow plowing down the trail or standing in the middle around the turns.
I really had to take some extreme measures a few times to keep from wiping some people out.
Main problem I think is that the trail is different from anything else at Belleayre and narrow. If it was at Platty it would be a different story.
The Goat Path situation may improve once the mid station is done but I guess we’ll see.

about a month or so ago, i mentioned that that run would be a disaster waiting to happen..

The Goat Path situation may improve IF the mid station is done but I guess we’ll see.
Fixed that for you

There was already talk of not finishing the mid station on the day that the lift opened. We’ll see what happens.

If they do finish the mid station it will need a whole lot of fill due to the height of the lift in that area. The ramp would likely end up blocking access between lower Yahoo and Lower Utsayantha (bottom of goat path, formerly Area 51).

This lift should have been a high speed from the start. They wanted an intermediate skier to be able to get on Lightning then on new 7 and get to the summit from the Discovery lodge. Those are each 10/11 minute rides and that’s before waiting in any line or having the lift stop.

How was it today?

This is very simple report
Bell was f’n off the charts today.
A little mist in the morning
Then sun and the snow stayed great till I left at 130
I usually don’t ski bumps
They were great

Oddly crowded given yesterdays weather. It was a day for going fast and digging trenches. I did my best to do both.

20240303_103441.jpg

Back