Belleayre Conditions

1706327461522.jpeg

Anyone here have thoughts on what Monday at Belle is likely to be like? Open Snow is showing snow from 9 am to around midnight Sunday with maybe 3 inches accumulating after last chair... and also temps falling through from Sunday morning through Monday afternoon so I don't know if that means the base is gonna lock up under anything fresh? I basically never get to schedule my skiing around fresh snow, not a lot of experience divining conditions from storm forecasts, but could potentially make the 2.5 hour drive up for the day this time.

I'd say give it a shot. Looks like Hunter and Windham will get more snow. If I could ski I'd hit Hunter or Belle.

Anyone here have thoughts on what Monday at Belle is likely to be like? Open Snow is showing snow from 9 am to around midnight Sunday with maybe 3 inches accumulating after last chair... and also temps falling through from Sunday morning through Monday afternoon so I don't know if that means the base is gonna lock up under anything fresh? I basically never get to schedule my skiing around fresh snow, not a lot of experience divining conditions from storm forecasts, but could potentially make the 2.5 hour drive up for the day this time.
It should be sweet. It might not be a powder day, but, snow coming tomorrow and it should groom in just fine. The base is soft now and it will firm up overnight/tomorrow but fresh snow plus grooming should make Monday nice, maybe even the ungroomed too depending on how much comes down tomorrow.

Multiple events going on today, buses and college race teams in the Overlook around 8:15. Looks like the college race was on Dot and there was also a USCSA event in the lower Yahoo park.

Quiet early but got quite busy late morning. Did a dozen runs before 11 and only four or five after lunch. Luckily there was a light turn out of passholders or today would have been a real shit show.

Belleayre is apparently the new Hunter, the new thing is to drop skis in the snow by the lodge and not rack them. And, the instructor clinics are meeting by the corner of the lodge for some reason.

The snow was good though, both groomers and bumps were soft. Ran into Ripitz and took a ride on 6 together. Hoping tomorrow’s storm over delivers!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 62
I'd say give it a shot. Looks like Hunter and Windham will get more snow. If I could ski I'd hit Hunter or Belle.
Thanks - I saw that about the forecast. Are the state roads likely to be fully clear by 8 am if it hasn't snowed all through the night? I've got a Forester with all-seasons. (Yes I'm a stereotype.) I figured 28 should be OK but wasn't sure about the twisty part by the falls on the way to Hunter.

Thanks - I saw that about the forecast. Are the state roads likely to be fully clear by 8 am if it hasn't snowed all through the night? I've got a Forester with all-seasons. (Yes I'm a stereotype.) I figured 28 should be OK but wasn't sure about the twisty part by the falls on the way to Hunter.
In my experience with snow chasing, Route 28 is relatively taken care of but, and this may be a matter of common sense, if it is snowing at say an inch or two an hour, it doesn't matter how well they are taking care of it, driving will be between difficult and dangerous.

A few times I storm chased into snow last year on 28 and I made it safely but in very dark parts of 28 with white out I literally had to drive slightly left into the rumble strip at times in low traffic and dark areas to be able to confirm location on the road.

Back