Belleayre Conditions

A long time ago in Killy I parked at Snowshed, apres-ed at K1, then drunk skied down past the grooming machines at like 6PM. I doubt Belle would ever allow that, but it would allow Overlook to live on as a mid station and apres bar, while removing all the parking and roads that dissect the mountain and make it so awkward.
I remember when I worked overnights in the snowmaking department there were several “somebody’s fucking around on Snowshed” calls from our guys or the groomers. One of them turned out to be a security guard trying to drive their Jeep up one of the trails. I heard he explained that he was able to make it up no problem on his last shift, which was before we made snow on it of course.

I think that there is a lack of instructions on how to use them. I have a friend who hates them but he refuses to grasp the idea that all you have to do is slide onto the conveyor then do NOTHING but sit down on the chair when it reaches you. He insists on clomping forward on the conveyor as if it wasn't there like when you slide forward to the loading spot on snow. He either shoots off the end of the carpet or falls over. And he's an expert skier who's skied for over 50 years. I guess you just can't teach an old dog new tricks.
This is definitely the issue. 3d time skiers can't figure out that you should just do nothing. Not saying I blame them. I remember some epic early lift spills in my own skiing careers. I probably would have won the darwin award on a carpet loader . .. . .

I remember when I worked overnights in the snowmaking department there were several “somebody’s fucking around on Snowshed” calls from our guys or the groomers. One of them turned out to be a security guard trying to drive their Jeep up one of the trails. I heard he explained that he was able to make it up no problem on his last shift, which was before we made snow on it of course.
Had to message my buddy.
1676469144326.jpeg

We got away that night but I got in big trouble in Big Sky for driving up the mountain and high marking with my ‘79 Lincoln Continental. The GM said my stunt was “interesting”.

Last edited:
OK then, I’d like to add that the magic carpet learning area is also fucking dumb.
Agree. It’s too steep and too short.

A better beginner area would be where the pond skim was held last year, up in front of the discovery lodge in the large unused area on skiers left.

Agree. It’s too steep and too short.

A better beginner area would be where the pond skim was held last year, up in front of the discovery lodge in the large unused area on skiers left.
That’s where it used to be I think

Magic carpet not that hard to move, I assume?

Magic carpet not that hard to move, I assume?
There are three of them. They would have to trench new power, admit their mistake and shorten the vertical foot claim to under 1,400ft.

admit their mistake
And there’s the dealbreaker.

And also this was sold as “beginners can walk right out of the rental shop right onto the snow without walking up the hill.”

Nobody that has watched that beginner area on a busy day can possibly think moving it there was a good idea. But here we are on what, year 5?

What is the problem with it? Sorry if I missed it.

Back