Windham Mountain Going Private?

Also a lot of those types that would buy into this private club don't fly like the rest of us. The plane leaves when they want and the rental car is waiting at the plane when you get off.
Reminds me of when one of my regulars came in to Cambridge Wines. He spent $750.00 on 6 bottles of Champagne and goes, "Can you put this in a box for me? I'm flying out west." Stupidly I asked, "Will the airline let you bring that a carry-on?" He replied, "Oh, we're flying private."

They wont need a school, all those parents who join the Windham Club are already spending as much as they can on private schools in NYC and the surrounding suburbs. They want their kids to know how to be financial tycoons, not low points racers.
I wonder. What's the demographics of kids that are in the K or Stratton school? The parents aren't poor or middle class I'll bet. Sort of in the league of tennis camps, which is a well documented neurotic way to force the kids to be what the parents never were. Sure, some parents want the kids to follow in finance, but some families are so wealthy and comfortable, I'll bet, that they think it's cool to make another Bode or Shiffrin.

I don't get killing the mountain biking. There's some real dirtbag prejudice in that decision. But they just took a kid/summer activity away. Even Deer Valley has a long history of race events. And those people ain't dirtbag.
I don't get that move. Mountain biking is not is dirtbag sport anymore. The payout for the payback may not have been worth it. Their bike park never took off like Thunder at BE.

I don't get that move. Mountain biking is not is dirtbag sport anymore. The payout for the payback may not have been worth it. Their bike park never took off like Thunder at BE.
I mean, all the infrastructure is there. No additional cost.

I mean, all the infrastructure is there. No additional cost.
There are like 3 maybe 4 subpar trails when compared to Mountain Creek that has 50+ trails all generally of better quality even if not maintained to my liking. Mountain Creeks Cabriolet Gondola is also the best way to transport a bike that I've ever dealt with and that is all before mentioning that for 90+% of your target audience they save at least an hour drive time going to Mountain Creek vs Windham. Lift access mountain biking is not the great white hope many ski area's assumed it could be. To do it right takes hundreds of thousands of dollars and not half-assing it.

Reminds me of when one of my regulars came in to Cambridge Wines. He spent $750.00 on 6 bottles of Champagne and goes, "Can you put this in a box for me? I'm flying out west." Stupidly I asked, "Will the airline let you bring that a carry-on?" He replied, "Oh, we're flying private."
Although you could have gone with the assumption they were flying privately, it sure wasn't stupid to ask. Your regular probably got a charge out of saying that.

Although you could have gone with the assumption they were flying privately, it sure wasn't stupid to ask. Your regular probably got a charge out of saying that.
I've got more stories where that one came from 😄

One time, a couple came in and they asked, Do you have Domaine Moulin Rouge? I said no, but I'd be glad to special order it if it was available. They go, oh, it's the most darling little winery. 15 kilometers from our house in Provence. Then they talked about their pièd-a-terre in NYC. Walked out without buying anything, which is OK. Telling me in not so many words how rich they are, very bad taste.

Last edited:
There are like 3 maybe 4 subpar trails when compared to Mountain Creek that has 50+ trails all generally of better quality even if not maintained to my liking. Mountain Creeks Cabriolet Gondola is also the best way to transport a bike that I've ever dealt with and that is all before mentioning that for 90+% of your target audience they save at least an hour drive time going to Mountain Creek vs Windham. Lift access mountain biking is not the great white hope many ski area's assumed it could be. To do it right takes hundreds of thousands of dollars and not half-assing it.
From what I understand, and I'm not a mountain biker these days, Killington has been pretty successful with it.

Well, they better start a bad ass race program and school to complete that package.
They're already doing that. They got Sean Warnan to run the race program a couple of years ago, and this year they brought PSIA national demo team coaches to train instructors. The current club members have been skiing with top instructors for years. The people who show up for your one morning only lesson don't get anything like what the rich guys get.

mm

Back