Wildlife

I was in Chelsea Park, no fish. The bear activity in the Chelsea/Castle Point area (off of 9D) has been a hot topic of discussion, in the neighborhood and on FB.

This little red squirrel is completely unafraid of me. :( Between the squirrels and the birds, I am going through a case of suet a week.)

Attachments

• IMG_20220629_192919218.jpg
    IMG_20220629_192919218.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 53
Tonight, a grey fox zoomed in between my house and my chicken coop. 5 of my 6 chickens were out. I went running out and tried to get the remaining 5 in. They were not interested in going in. The fox was not interested in coming back.

Nature is weird.
Fast forward. On Friday, I lost my favorite chicken. (It's kinda hard to tell when they are all barred rocks/black and white striped). Squeaker would jump up to get bread out of my hand. When I came back from the barn to find a trail of feathers on the ground, it was just not good.

I let the remaining 5 out last night and stood outside while I was on the phone until they went in. I did the same tonight, but went in before the chickens tucked themselves in . I was only inside for a few minutes before I heard chicken screaming. The fox had one by the throat. I went out yelling. The fox dropped the chicken and ran off. The chicken ran and hid. The fox looked out from where it was hiding and I threw rocks at it. I found the chicken that was hiding and put her with the others. They proceeded to keep nibbling on grass as if nothing happened, until it was time to go to bed.

(And, no, I am not a good enough shot to hit a fox.)

Attachments

• 6F0C1632-0BB6-4AD4-B471-F6FF873F5D3C.jpeg
    6F0C1632-0BB6-4AD4-B471-F6FF873F5D3C.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 44
Back