Wildlife

Well, it finally happened. After 40+ years of roaming the northeastern woods, I finally saw a bear outside the state of NJ. Close to a leanto on the way to Belleayre. No photo though. He heard me and he split.

Seen plenty of footprints and scat... first time seeing an actual bear.
Do NJ bears not count as "actual bears?" :unsure: I know they are almost as common as a chipmunk in the mountains of Passaic County but surely they are still bears...

I had a good run in with a smaller bear in the Watershed at Port Jervis going back a few weeks. I was riding fast along a bench cut trail dug across a very steep hillside. Below me I heard something barreling through the woods trees and branches crashing everywhere. I got a good look and said to myself "at least it was downhill from me" only to have the exact same thing happen 15 minutes later on a lower trail, this time the bear above me. Thing could have somersaulted into my handlebars.

Do NJ bears not count as "actual bears?" :unsure: I know they are almost as common as a chipmunk in the mountains of Passaic County but surely they are still bears...

I had a good run in with a smaller bear in the Watershed at Port Jervis going back a few weeks. I was riding fast along a bench cut trail dug across a very steep hillside. Below me I heard something barreling through the woods trees and branches crashing everywhere. I got a good look and said to myself "at least it was downhill from me" only to have the exact same thing happen 15 minutes later on a lower trail, this time the bear above me. Thing could have somersaulted into my handlebars.
i was riding in ring last fall..bear scared the crap out of me
I bet you were flying down Comic Charlie ..

Hell to the yeah, NJ bears count as real bears. I saw one several years ago that had to weigh 600 lb.

i was riding in ring last fall..bear scared the crap out of me
I bet you were flying down Comic Charlie ..
It's tough on the bike, you come up faster on em than they can run off. That said I always prefer a run in on the bike rather than on foot.

And I think I was on Scouts Honor when it was below me, just north of the campsites and above Cosmic Charlie, are bears known to hang out in that spot? Port seems like heaven for a bear.

Back