Wildlife

image.jpeg

There are a couple of hunter's stands in one stretch of woods where I run. One guy put up a wildlife camera, and something's been gnawing on it.

wildlife-cam.jpg

So, a few times I’ve seen scat on the property and wondered what it was. Big, and black. Did I say big? Not deer. Too big for cayote, or fox. Not a small mammal of any kind. Always thought to myself....damn, that looks like bear shit! Not that I’ve ever before seen known bear shit to confirm.

Methinks I may have been right. I was taking a soak in the hot tub last night. As I usually do when I hear tromping in the woods, I hunkered down quiet, figuring a deer would pop out. However, deer can move through brush pretty good, and this sound was more like something akin to a bull in a china shop. Almost wondered if people were back there. Hmmm...

Well, much to my surprise, a black bear came out into the yard. Shit. Believe you me I ducked down as much as I could, trapped in the hot tub, the bear walking by not more than twelve feet from what I figured could be my watery grave, lest I make any noise. Fortunately he kept on walking, but man that was (extra?) scary! Pretty cool, too.

Of course my son didn’t believe me. Like I’ve never seen a bear before, albeit I’ve never seen one in the “wild”. I estimated his rear haunches to be upwards of three feet high, his length on all fours was maybe four to five feet? Sure enough, I just looked up the size of adult male black bears and that’s close Thing was probably tall as me (6’4”) if standing upright, probably 250 to 300 pounds.

Time to start carrying a flashlight (or maybe order some bear spray for) when I walk the dog at night....

Last edited:
I only saw my first NYS bear about four years ago. Since then I’ve probably seen another half dozen, including roadkill. They’re definitely growing their population and moving into new areas lately.

A big ol' JTG stew lol! we got lots of 'em down here in pa, i've seen dozens over the years hiking, camping mtb etc. with a few close encounters. I think of them as big 'coons - curious and bold, stay clear and don't threaten them or their cubs and you *should* be good!

These guys scare me more!

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 53
Back