Wildlife

The closest deer car accident ( almost ) scared the shit out of me and The Queen 10:30 am yesterday ..

We were heading to Malone on a back road between here and Potsdam . An unseen deer jumped out of the brush ( which was right on the shoulder ) . Even tho we are always aware and vigilant living up here , but the scrub brush is overgrown and on th eshoulder on this particular backroad . We didn't see him until he was near our passenger side headlites .

Luckily even tho i am older than dirt my reflexes set in quick . I hit the brakes and that deer was FAST he got across did NOT hit the Outback and fortunately there were No others behind him . Damn thing happened so fast ,we were extremely fortunate .

Last night, I went for a walk up the road. Rather than stay on the road, I turned right into a hayfield near my house and walked pert of the perimeter. On the way back, I decided to walk on the adjacent logging trail, rather than continuing to skirt the field. Heading for home, I came out of the woods to walk in the field, rather than on the road. I happened to look to my left. There was a blob on the grass. Thankfully, I had some mini-binocs with me. I figured that it was a deer bedding down. Nope. It was a coyote. I must have passed within 100 yards of it while on the logging road. I went back into the woods and continued on the logging road until I reached the actual road. They coyote was still hanging out, kind of curled up with its head up, just hanging out. By the time I got to the corner where I had originally turned off the road, the coyote was gone.

Last night, I went for a walk up the road. Rather than stay on the road, I turned right into a hayfield near my house and walked pert of the perimeter. On the way back, I decided to walk on the adjacent logging trail, rather than continuing to skirt the field. Heading for home, I came out of the woods to walk in the field, rather than on the road. I happened to look to my left. There was a blob on the grass. Thankfully, I had some mini-binocs with me. I figured that it was a deer bedding down. Nope. It was a coyote. I must have passed within 100 yards of it while on the logging road. I went back into the woods and continued on the logging road until I reached the actual road. They coyote was still hanging out, kind of curled up with its head up, just hanging out. By the time I got to the corner where I had originally turned off the road, the coyote was gone.
That's pretty cool

We'll often see Yotes out in the pasture behind the house. While I'm not a fan of those deer killin bastards I do appreciate watching them move, they're very Ninja like.

That's pretty cool

We'll often see Yotes out in the pasture behind the house. While I'm not a fan of those deer killin bastards I do appreciate watching them move, they're very Ninja like.
It was way closer than I would ever want to be to a coyote. OTOH, it was kinda cool that they were doing their thing and I was doing mine. ?

It was way closer than I would ever want to be to a coyote. OTOH, it was kinda cool that they were doing their thing and I was doing mine. ?
Most likely a vigilant male with a pup den nearby.

It was way closer than I would ever want to be to a coyote
I understand this. I've seen tracks 20yds from my house, following deer. Makes me nervous about my dogs. I truly doubt anything would ever happen but I'd be pretty upset if it did.

I understand this. I've seen tracks 20yds from my house, following deer. Makes me nervous about my dogs. I truly doubt anything would ever happen but I'd be pretty upset if it did.
a client was having a few par three holes in their backyard where they had geese hanging out trashing the grass and attracting coyotes whom the owner feared would harm their dogs.
I made coyote silloett cutouts and put dog toys in the mouth that looked like geese, since then they have not had a problem with geese, coyotes and they even seem to keep deer away also, theirs a horse trail behind clients property and they said people riding past noticed their horses even paused when they see the fake coyotes,

Back