Whiteface Conditions

It's Whiteface, you never know what you'll get until you get there.
I understand that but when you need to last minute change hotels good to try and at least get some feel for it. Is a west wind normally problematic? I don't ski it enough to know

I’m not at whiteface I’m going for a ski tour today but it’s pretty windy in lake placid in town right now...snowed like 1” or so last night. Whiteface was skiing very nice yesterday in my opinion. I think some more snow tonight into tmrw prob nothing crazy.

There was wind this morning but everything that was supposed to be open and running was open and running. I stopped skiing around 11:30 though so I cannot vouch for what happened after that. Conditions were great. I was very surprised that they still hadn't groomed Skyward.

Last edited:
Conditions were great. I was very surprised that they still hadn't groomed Skyward.
Ditto this.

A fantastic morning yesterday ... very good conditions ... skier's left on the lower half of Essex was amazing, with a ton of wind-blown snow piled up over there. Each time I came down, it had seemed to "refill" from the prior run.

It did start to get pretty busy at around 10:30. I left at 11:00 ... lines were getting very long and I had some other things to do. When I got home, I saw that they had put the Summit Quad on wind hold ... that must have made the lines REALLY long, so I guess leaving at 11:00 wasn't the worst thing.

It's been a strange season for me ... I think I've only skied one day all year (at Whiteface) past 11:00 (when I started at 8:30). Whether it was bad conditions, long lines, lifts not operating, or some other thing I had to do (life really seems to be getting in the way a lot lately), I haven't spent a full day there. I'm really looking forward to getting a full day in at some point, but it won't be today ... maybe next weekend!

An interesting wrinkle that you need to be aware of this year is that the gondola line is a bit misleading, based on the past few years. Prior to this year, they were only using three "lanes", plus the singles line, once you came through the card readers. If you looked at the line from the Face Lift, and saw that it was limited to the area within the card readers, it wasn't too bad. This year, they're using all six "lanes", plus the singles line, so from an "appearance" point of view, in the area within the card readers, the wait is twice what it would have been last year. (someone may have mentioned this earlier, but I can't remember)

It was another good morning yesterday ... Conditions were pretty good and it was a LOT less crowded than Saturday.

Skyward still wasn't groomed ... I only skied it once ... It wasn't that it was bad, I just didn't feel like having to figure out how to navigate the whales and hard-pack machine made snow ... there were better options to be had.

I skied Wilderness, Lower Mac and "middle" Parkway on natural snow. It was definitely a bit thin, but there's just something about skiing natural snow. These were my favorites of the day.

It's hard to imagine the Wilmington Trail not being opened within the next few days (though the end of the week is looking absolutely brutal as far as temperatures go). I'm really hoping that they move to Hoyt's High next ... it's been several years since that trail, the best trail on the mountain, has been open, and I'm really hoping to get on it this season.

I did some cross country skiing over at Cascade cross country center in the afternoon. It's probably been close to 10 years or more since I was last on cross country skis. It was fun, but I don't think I'll be giving up my alpine gear any time soon!!!

It was another good morning yesterday ... Conditions were pretty good and it was a LOT less crowded than Saturday.

Skyward still wasn't groomed ... I only skied it once ... It wasn't that it was bad, I just didn't feel like having to figure out how to navigate the whales and hard-pack machine made snow ... there were better options to be had.

I skied Wilderness, Lower Mac and "middle" Parkway on natural snow. It was definitely a bit thin, but there's just something about skiing natural snow. These were my favorites of the day.

It's hard to imagine the Wilmington Trail not being opened within the next few days (though the end of the week is looking absolutely brutal as far as temperatures go). I'm really hoping that they move to Hoyt's High next ... it's been several years since that trail, the best trail on the mountain, has been open, and I'm really hoping to get on it this season.

I did some cross country skiing over at Cascade cross country center in the afternoon. It's probably been close to 10 years or more since I was last on cross country skis. It was fun, but I don't think I'll be giving up my alpine gear any time soon!!!
We got there a bit late(11ish) which turned out to be a good thing. Light snow just starting, hit Skyward asap, excellent snow on skiers right but totally braille til half way down. Snow starting adding up nicely around 1:30, Upper Parkway to Thruway on skiers left was really nice. Big difference though in snow from top of LWF to base of LWF chair. Skied til just after 3, mostly stopped because we were stating to soak through. Really nice to ski some fresh snow though.

Took some morning runs yesterday ahead of the arctic blast ... nothing to get overly excited about, but good solid skiing. Essex was still good ... some nice wind blown skier's left on Upper Skyward ... Victoria was in good shape.

Clouds sitting on the upper mountain all morning made visibility very tough, and VERY flat light everywhere else. Snow being made here, there and everywhere ... looks like they're stockpiling ... some really huge piles in a few places.

Wilmington Trail still not open ... here's a shot looking up from the bottom at the intersection with Boreen. Those piles are a lot bigger than they look in the picture.

IMG_2362.jpg

Back