Whiteface Conditions

I think everything that was open before the storm is open. Standard hard packed with some dust on top. Edgeable and will probably stay that way due to midweek style turnout. Probably no visibility up top.

First few runs this morning were quite nice on Mountain Run and Victoria. Some fresh natural and manmade on top of very firm snow. Summit was less good as the wind blew off most of the lighter stuff. By 10:30 I had to search out the nicer snow on the edges. First time this season I had to wait more than a minute for a gondola but not crowded at all compared to what you get out west this time of year. Looks like Essex will be reopened again soon. I'll poach it if it isn't.

More broadly I was reflecting today on what a competent job the whole crew here at WF has done this year. Great snowmaking plan, no snafus with broken lifts, just generally well done. Very strange. Thankfully the shitty weather this weekend will leave a lot of visitors with a bad taste in their mouth. We can't have this place getting popular!

Last edited:
The conditions seemed to improve today as they made more snow and a little bit of natural fell. Lower Mackenzie was my favorite run of the day. We were very impressed with the new pizzeria in the basement of the legacy lodge. They’re running a pretty amazing passholder special for 25 bucks you get a pizza, salad, cannoli, and interesting aqua maple drink. Make sure to ask for your pizza well done, but other than that the food is pretty awesome. Especially for on the mountain food.

Attachments

• E73ECEF1-FFAE-43F4-8F68-165CF16597EB.jpeg
    E73ECEF1-FFAE-43F4-8F68-165CF16597EB.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 57
The conditions seemed to improve today as they made more snow and a little bit of natural fell. Lower Mackenzie was my favorite run of the day. We were very impressed with the new pizzeria in the basement of the legacy lodge. They’re running a pretty amazing passholder special for 25 bucks you get a pizza, salad, cannoli, and interesting aqua maple drink. Make sure to ask for your pizza well done, but other than that the food is pretty awesome. Especially for on the mountain food.
Glad to hear they opened lower Mack, it was closed in the morning but looked good from below. Hopefully they make lots more snow over the next few nights and the rest of the week turns out awesome!

Some good snow lately, despite the rain the other day. Mountain Run was good below the Thruway split. Best to hit Upper Parkway and move left. Got busier as the day progressed, but not bad given it's Christmas week.

Snowmaking seems to be on trails around the university games race trails.....make it look like there's lots of snow everywhere. That and for the snowboard competition (Danny's Bridge/Brookside). I doubt Skyward will open until the end of the month. Someone on the gondola (non-staff) said W trail will be the focus next. If true, I doubt staffing is an issue.

Some good snow lately, despite the rain the other day. Mountain Run was good below the Thruway split. Best to hit Upper Parkway and move left. Got busier as the day progressed, but not bad given it's Christmas week.

Snowmaking seems to be on trails around the university games race trails.....make it look like there's lots of snow everywhere. That and for the snowboard competition (Danny's Bridge/Brookside). I doubt Skyward will open until the end of the month. Someone on the gondola (non-staff) said W trail will be the focus next. If true, I doubt staffing is an issue.
I was hitting that exact trajectory this morning until about 10:30! All the way skier's right on U.P. and then right under the lift line on Mountain Run. Good snow there. They did open Lower Wilderness and Lower Mack too, and they were fun, but I thought Mountain Run was the most fun today.

It does seem like this snowmaking window was mostly squandered when it comes to opening new terrain. I was hoping for Wilmington and if that wasn't possible, then Skyward, but we got neither.

It does seem like this snowmaking window was mostly squandered when it comes to opening new terrain. I was hoping for Wilmington and if that wasn't possible, then Skyward, but we got neither.
If you were in charge and had the University games coming up what would you do?

I'm well aware of the university games obligations. I thought they had gotten most of that terrain done before the warm-up, but I guess I was mistaken. Still, as of this weekend, they will the same amount of terrain open that they did 2 weeks prior.

Back