Whiteface Conditions

Bit of a rough day today (not completely unexpected given the recent weather) ... clouds sitting on the lower mountain all morning, but beautiful up top ... in some spots, you couldn't see five feet in front of you ... they had to close Excelsior at about 10:00 am ... one of the turns (6) was nothing but pond ice (someone was going to end up in the trees) ... gave up at around 10:30 or so ... I'm guessing it probably got better once the clouds lifted, but sometimes, it's better to turn tail and run then to fight it out ... hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Based on the webcam this morning, it looked like the bad visibility might've been caused by the snowmaking itself.

Based on the webcam this morning, it looked like the bad visibility might've been caused by the snowmaking itself.
I think that was definitely a contributing factor on the mountain, but there was an inversion in the morning, and the clouds were evident throughout the low lying areas.

Junior was up there bright and early this morning. He said it was good but got skied off and crowded by noon

C42D7397-950D-4985-9D55-B9806639ACFE.jpeg

Last edited:
It's been pretty good in the mornings yesterday and today. Soft corduroy for an hour or two and then it starts to harden up. I'm thinking that I'm getting my legs back earlier this year with the longer early season runs. Still nothing new open but it looks like Mountain Run and Approach could be ready as early as tomorrow, or even this afternoon if they let us ski the whales.

I’ve got pretty much that same pic from Saturday (mines taken from Parons), and yeh it was nice up high above the clouds, super bad vis mid mountain, then you could really feel that temp change once you broke out below it. First day of the season for us, can’t complain about being able to ski it from the top.
826E898C-CB47-4CE4-B566-27939ED00236.jpeg

Got a few runs in at Whiteface today. Conditions were very good - much better than I expected. I'm impressed with their early season snowmaking and grooming this year. Mostly sunny (while I was there), very small crowd and good coverage. Gondola, Face lift and Summit chair running - no lines.

Back