Whiteface Conditions

Conditions were very good this morning, considering it was 40+ degrees yesterday with a fair amount of rain, followed by cold temperatures and howling wind all night. By 11:00, things were definitely getting skied off, but it was much better than I expected until then.

Conditions were very good this morning, considering it was 40+ degrees yesterday with a fair amount of rain, followed by cold temperatures and howling wind all night. By 11:00, things were definitely getting skied off, but it was much better than I expected until then.
It's all about expectations.
Expectations are predetermined disappointments, imo....lol

Conditions did get a lot worse later in the day. Still not bad considering the weather.

Here's a few more pictures:

20221204_144709.jpg

20221204_144812.jpg

20221204_145114.jpg

20221204_141135.jpg

In past years the summit would be a month away.... Can't wait to get up there next weekend.

In past years the summit would be a month away.... Can't wait to get up there next weekend.
It would usually come down to the wire to even open it by Christmas, and they opened it this year before Thanksgiving.

It solves a pretty major deficiency with their early season trail/lift rollout. Previously they always opened multiple routes off Little Whiteface before even attempting the summit. It typically came after Draper's. This left the problem of the gondola being the only lift anyone wanted to ride, resulting in long lines. While they could open the Little Whiteface chair to spread people out, they were for whatever reason very reluctant to run it. If you were on this forum, you'd have noticed it was something I complained about often. With the summit now open, it provides an additional upper lift, and people spread out and use both.

This weekend they had the summit open with both Paron's and Follies. When you got to the merge with the top of Excelsior, you had 3 options, those being Excelsior, Lower Northway, and Victoria. From Facelift down, you had two options, one being Upper Valley, Lower Valley, and Fox, and the other being portions of Broadway, Boreen, and Brookside. Bear Den was also open with two routes directly off that lift and was connected to and from the main base. That's a ton of terrain for December 4th, especially considering the awful weather we've had.

Totally agree. Firm but very turnable. At least in the morning. I was done by 11

Looks pretty dam good to me compared to what I’ve been skiing
Put yer Santa suit on and ski for free Sunday the 11th.

Back