Whiteface Conditions

What’s the deal with the Lookout chair/Wilmington…..is it officially done for the season, regardless of how much new snow they get?

What’s the deal with the Lookout chair/Wilmington…..is it officially done for the season, regardless of how much new snow they get?
I was wondering the same, hit WF last Saturday, really good. Top 10 day for WF, Good snow, Sun, a little wait at a few lifts but not bad. But Wilmington wasn't open and it looks like they took the time to blow snow on Look out Below. WTF??

I was wondering the same, hit WF last Saturday, really good. Top 10 day for WF, Good snow, Sun, a little wait at a few lifts but not bad. But Wilmington wasn't open and it looks like they took the time to blow snow on Look out Below. WTF??
I was also wondering the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Hoyt's hasn't been open in 2 years?

Lookout Below is a lot of fun when it sits in the sun and gets soft. IMO, the mountain would benefit from having another steep trail on that side of the ridge.

The actual lift was running minimally over President's week.

I was also wondering the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Hoyt's hasn't been open in 2 years?

Lookout Below is a lot of fun when it sits in the sun and gets soft. IMO, the mountain would benefit from having another steep trail on that side of the ridge.

The actual lift was running minimally over President's week.
If they got that mountain open for more than a couple of days per year people would see there are more steep options than lookout. Bright side that lift should last for decades. It's they look at the running hours on that lift it must have less than any other lift it's age in the entire world.

Funny everyone's talking about this now. I was there on Saturday as well, and it was a fantastic day. The only thing that was an issue was the lift lines at the summit, and LWF. This would have been less of an issue if Lookout was in play. I asked one of the lifties what the deal was. I was told that the bull wheel bearing at the top had failed, and that the bull wheel was beginning to wobble. It's a major repair involving removing all the chairs and loosening the haul rope. Assuming he is correct, that is most likely not going to happen this season. I've checked the conditions report several times and they always say the same thing. "The Lookout lift has a mechanical issue, and we will update you when more information becomes available." This is really code for "sorry, but no more Lookout lift this year. We don't really care about that peak anyway, and we didn't bother to stay on top of scheduled maintenance since the lift was built 15 years ago." I many ways they are lying to us.

It's incredibly frustrating how infrequently that lift operates even during peak season. I've been to WF a couple dozen times over the last few years now, and I'm a ski3 holder this year. Only one of those days has Lookout been operational. IMO, it is purely false advertising even having it on the map at this point. They should seriously consider removing that lift and repurposing it somewhere else if they are not going offer its service to their customers.

Oh well, there are worse things to complain about. I'll be back there this Sunday making the best of things regardless of lift status, and conditions.

Thanks for the Lookout info everyone. I never saw/noticed to notes regarding mechanical issues. Lifts not spinning isn’t always the worst thing.

A shame all that snow on Lookout is going to fall and sit, only to melt (along with all the snow they made). I know it’s not something they can do (not in their charter, and they don’t have passenger cats)….but I bet they could make a good buck if they somehow could offer snow cat skiing on Lookout, especially after a storm like we (hopefully) get this weekend. I’d pay for that!

Hoping for the best this weekend with lifts and wind and all. I’ll bring the packs and skins this weekend just in case. I bet the Toll Road will see action, or maybe a mellow trek out Cooper Kiln (avoiding the steeper upper section) could provide alternatives if necessary.

"We are sorry to report that the Lookout Mountain Lift’s top bullwheel bearing failed, and it will not be able to be repaired this winter. While working on logistics for accessing the location with heavy equipment, we unfortunately learned that delivery of the required parts will not occur until after the ski season. We will make the repairs this summer."

Back