Whiteface Conditions

I found the skiing excellent on Saturday, especially early. Sure there were icy bits but there was plenty of soft snow for making great turns.
Same. Niagara and Parkway and Thruway had some great snow. Never got icy there. Skyward was good early but definitely got scaped off by lunch. I don’t know why Wilmington trail never opened. I’m not super familiar with WF but didn’t see any open glades either. I assume for good reason.

Attachments

• 771DB279-F5B9-484D-87EB-EF78063BB4CD.jpeg
    771DB279-F5B9-484D-87EB-EF78063BB4CD.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 108
This morning on Skyward was one of those mornings that make all the crap we deal with at WF totally worth it. Just divine and totally unexpected (by me at least). It had some fresh from yesterday and a substantial amount had been blown onto it overnight. Soft lovely turns on upper and nice cold powder on lower. Very very uncrowded. I did six laps before I had to force myself to leave for work. I still can't get the grin off my face.

This morning on Skyward was one of those mornings that make all the crap we deal with at WF totally worth it. Just divine and totally unexpected (by me at least). It had some fresh from yesterday and a substantial amount had been blown onto it overnight. Soft lovely turns on upper and nice cold powder on lower. Very very uncrowded. I did six laps before I had to force myself to leave for work. I still can't get the grin off my face.
hey look at that. That's my first "Well-known member" post! I'm all grows up!

Anyone hit WF last couple days? Planning to head up for Saturday over Gore for a change of pace and get in some Skyward and hopefully Cloudspin laps

Pulled the trigger on WF today and...what, a, day. Stellar all around. Parked at 8:20 and got a spot in the river lot. On Gondi at 8:40. 4 Skyward laps in by 9:40 on some of the best groomed cord I've skied on Sky maybe ever?

Lines became a thing around then and were pretty long so moved over to LWF hoping they were shorter but they weren't. Lapped LWF to ski Mt Run, Mac, and Wilderness. All good but Wilderness was the pic, especially upper which has 0 ice and was awesome.

Moved back to summit and then moved over to Cloudspin which was perfect chopped powder leftovers. Did hit a few rocks but was worth it. Good enough to lap it 4 times straight. Before taking a Powerade break at Mid. While sipping it, was happy to see somebody grilling up a storm on the lower deck. Was it Grillman? I am not enough of a WF regular to know but it was a big spread and big grill

Finished the day with 2 more laps on Skyward and Cloudspin before doing another Wilderness lap and finishing the day with a TTB run on Skyward at 3:30. To ski Skyward at 3:30 and it's still good, including lower Sky, is something I have never experienced at WF. Also, no wind, sun most of the day, and 30 degrees. Perfect weather.

ROTD's: All of Skyward, Cloudspin, All of Wilderness, Victoria

The Cloudsplitter out on the deck to end the day at the base was well deserved today. 7 hours. 30k vert. Sad to see tomorrow's weather, but headed to Steamboat on Wednesday for the first time for 3ish days of skiing. Definitely can't complain!

Attachments

• PXL_20220305_170136775.jpg
    PXL_20220305_170136775.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220305_165919902.jpg
    PXL_20220305_165919902.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20220305_200331537.jpg
    PXL_20220305_200331537.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20220305_205456504.jpg
    PXL_20220305_205456504.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 66
Lines became a thing around then and were pretty long so moved over to LWF hoping they were shorter but they weren't.
The lines were definitely a "problem" ... We're pretty spoiled and definitely not used to that ... Usually if the Summit Lift is crowded, you can go to Little Whiteface and/or Freeway to get away from the lines ... not yesterday, at least from mid-morning to early afternoon. We were wondering how much the absence of the Lookout Lift was a factor.
Pulled the trigger on WF today and...what, a, day. Stellar all around.
Didn't really matter ... agree completely ... it was a stellar day. Great weather ... great conditions ... it all came together yesterday!

Back